AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing new remotes out now where you download new codes to PC for editing, updating, or expanding control capabilities. Any Apple fans out there doing the same with PC emulation software (softPC, etc...) to sync up their remote?

All of the gear is in a closet behind the monitor, so I have an IR repeater in line. I ultimately want to add lighting control to the mix also, but just wondering if i can use one of these new remotes and take full advantage of the features now available.

Little help?

thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
272 Posts
Paul,

You'll have to be a little more specific about which remote models you are interested in. The Pronto/Marantz family works well for me on my Macintosh. I've used the ProntoEdit/TouchScreenSetup software under VirtualPC and I've also used Tonto (a 3rd party CCF editing solution).

I personally recommend Tonto--it's great!

Often, the biggest difficulty is connecting the remote to the Mac. Since a lot of remotes use serial connections and the Mac generally have USB connections, you need a USB->Serial adapter.

Good luck!

Brad

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've got the same question. I've read up on using Tonto to work with Pronto remotes, but what would you use to edit codes with the MX-700?

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gesundheit
I've got the same question. I've read up on using Tonto to work with Pronto remotes, but what would you use to edit codes with the MX-700?
Check out this thread: Editing MXD files

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
You'll have to be a little more specific about which remote models you are interested in. The Pronto/Marantz family works well for me on my Macintosh. I've used the ProntoEdit/TouchScreenSetup software under VirtualPC and I've also used Tonto (a 3rd party CCF editing solution).

I personally recommend Tonto--it's great!

Often, the biggest difficulty is connecting the remote to the Mac. Since a lot of remotes use serial connections and the Mac generally have USB connections, you need a USB->Serial adapter.
Brad,

I had been considering all of them, in a quest to program ONE remote to do the work of the many. Pronto, MX-700, U-Command (Crisp Solutions), they all seem to be upgradeable or re-tweaked via a company or other website. Everyone mentions PC computers, and i've learned that if they don't say MAC, then it's not working on MAC.

I had considered both the pronto/marantz, and the Crisp Solutions. which Pronto are you using, and which MAC OS?

Pronto might get the nod, but which one? I'm itching to settle down on one and get stuff programmed and cleaned up.

regards,

Paul

PS: I haven't looked into Tonto software yet, but i will now!

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
as long as it is not the NEO or the new TSU-3000 any other Pronto or Marantz should work. You can use Pronto edit with a PC emulator or Tonto that is Java based

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for the link to the MX700 programming. I presume the apps they're discussing would need to be run on Virtual PC on my mac.

·
Registered
272 Posts
VPC is usually a pretty good option for something like this. I'm only familiar with the Pronto/Marantz series. I have a Marantz 5200 and have used TSS (TouchScreenSetup) in VPC and Tonto.

I have an older version of VPC that works best in OS9.x, but Tonto only runs in OSX. Check it out at:

http://giantlaser.com/tonto/?x=about

Best,

Brad

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I've been trying the MX-700 and the software in Virtual PC - it does work, but very slow and difficult. If I had it to do again I'd forget the VPC and borrow one to get the programming done. Actually, I may borrow a PC laptop and do the "finnish" programming down in the theater - testing and macros - so I don't have to keep running up and down 2 flights of stairs.

Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.