AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be old news, but I never noticed it before. If so, let me know and I'll close this thread to avoid any unnecessary angst.

Had to completely reset my HD-Tivo recently and it ended up on #201 DirecTV Basics. When I pulled up "info", the text reads:

Quote:
The copyright holder of this program permits viewing at less than high definition on component outputs.

Is this a precursor to anything, or just a stock message that's been around for awhile? ....and why in hell would you ever downrez Tanya Memme - for any reason? ;)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It's the HDCP message. It's been around awhile - they have been testing it on 201. So if you use DVI or HDMI with HDCP you shouldn't get the message. Of course, in this case there's nothing to downrezz because it's a SD program.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Oh ... I see a slight difference from the link I posted above

DVI w/o HDCP:

This program is not available for viewing using the DVI monitor without HDCP capability. you may be able to view this program using a different connector and removing the DVI connector

Component:

The copyright holder of this program permits viewing at less than high definition on component outputs

Interesting

Only reference to the down-rez message I can find is here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb.../t-171422.html

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think if you also turn to Channel 845 (I think thats the one) you will see the picture actually "flip" first then the message pops up.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Ah - this is rumoured to be the situation for Sky's new HD service in the UK.

Originally the receiver was supposed to be HDMI only for HD (with compatibility with DVI using HDCP) with no HD component analogue outputs. They have now relented and the first generation receivers will have HD analogue component outputs, but with broadcaster control over whether HD material will be presented in HD via these.

(Sky have guaranteed that Sky branded channels will be analogue HD compatible - but can't guarantee what other broadcasters will chose to do)

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I hope they don't start downrezzing before they get the new boxes, because one of my HD-TIVOs has a faulty HDMI and so I have to use the component even though my projector has a DVI/HDCP input. I haven't worried about it up until now since I think that projector works well with component and have been figuring it wouldn't be an issue if they were going to swap my HD-TIVO out for an MPEG4 version anyway.

--Darin

·
Registered
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis
I think if you also turn to Channel 845 (I think thats the one) you will see the picture actually "flip" first then the message pops up.
Channel is 854..which is a "new" Copy protection "test" channel, said to have

some sort of macrovision protection...the msg. on ch. 201 has been there for

quite some time...only my Tivo displays the msg, none of my other receivers show

it. :(

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
As long as I can get an HMC with HD clients I won't really care. But currently I am distributing my HD TiVo signal to 3 other TV's via a component distribution amplifier, so if this were to happen, I would be SOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.