AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Researching the purchase of a new Plasma. I'm looking at a V series or the 600M Pio. (would like to add the 650 but reliability seems to be lacking) When you can get the 600M for ~ 3K it seems to be a slam dunk.

What are the downsides of buying these "monitors" vs buying the conventional TVs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just bought a 600m and had similar questions. Basically, the monitor does not have an internal tuner, speakers, or a stand. If you are getting HD through a sat box or cable box then the lack of an internal tuner is a non-issue.The monitor also from what I have heard can be calibrated to near elite quality so that is a plus.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
How about the inputs? IIRC the KRPs only have two HDMI inputs. How many Component inputs does it have? Does it have an Optical Audio Output? How about VGA or Composite Video/S-Video?

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
I think most people buying a monitor are (by necessity, since these TV's don't have speakers) going to be pairing it with an nice AVR and using a surround sound speaker system. Any modern AVR can do all the video switching, so the limited number of inputs isn't really an issue -- all you need is to be able to output everything to the display.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decelerate /forum/post/16903587

I just bought a 600m and had similar questions. Basically, the monitor does not have an internal tuner, speakers, or a stand. If you are getting HD through a sat box or cable box then the lack of an internal tuner is a non-issue.The monitor also from what I have heard can be calibrated to near elite quality so that is a plus.

I'm glad you two are confirming my suspicions.

I also find the thread about cracked panels a little worrisome. I always try and buy stuff like this locally for the ease of return, but the only way I'm getting this baby is ordering it through one of the forum advertisers. When over half of the people are ending up with a cracked screen you would think that would send a red flag to anybody's packaging department!

Thanks again for the replies. Hands down the best place for info! Weather or not the above average consumer should read this stuff or not is still up in the air. Can drive you batty at times. Sometimes I think I would be better off being an ignorant consumer and never no the difference of off axis viewing, black levels, SOE, pink whites, buzzing, motion resolution, phosphor lag.

Five years ago I went through this forum deciding on my next TV. Bought a Hitachi and Sony RP LCD. I ended up returning them because of screen uniformity issues and SDE. Bought a RPCRT instead, and yet nothing has come out since that can compete with the blacks you can achieve from them, but I'll take the size and viewing angles of plasma tech. every day of the week!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16903782

I think most people buying a monitor are (by necessity, since these TV's don't have speakers) going to be pairing it with an nice AVR and using a surround sound speaker system. Any modern AVR can do all the video switching, so the limited number of inputs isn't really an issue -- all you need is to be able to output everything to the display.

Except a lot of people have been looking at this as a cheaper entry 151, so they weren't necessarily specifically shopping for a "monitor." It is a great deal for those that do plan on exclusively using an AV receiver and speaker system though, and even better for those that already planned on mouting it.

·
Banned
4,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhh /forum/post/16903549

Only "downside" is lack of tuner, speakers, or stand. PQ wise, it's hands down the best 60" display you can get.

Exactly. They have been very popular however and people that I have been talking to usually either mount it and dont need tuner and have external sound. Or they just buy a stand but they have been hard to come by.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O /forum/post/16904057

Exactly. They have been very popular however and people that I have been talking to usually either mount it and dont need tuner and have external sound. Or they just buy a stand but they have been hard to come by.

I'm gonna mount on my wall. Question about audio...In todays world oF 'HDMI' you run HDMI from HD box to tv then out of tv (pass through) to tuner for the digital sound, correct? The 600m doesn't have digital out if I recall so how does one go about sound to receiver? The old way of 'fiber optic' out from HD box to receiver then? If this is the only way, is there a sound drop off using fiber optic compared to HDMI?

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsredsled /forum/post/17123186

I'm gonna mount on my wall. Question about audio...In todays world oF 'HDMI' you run HDMI from HD box to tv then out of tv (pass through) to tuner for the digital sound, correct? The 600m doesn't have digital out if I recall so how does one go about sound to receiver? The old way of 'fiber optic' out from HD box to receiver then? If this is the only way, is there a sound drop off using fiber optic compared to HDMI?

If I'm reading that correctly... No. Everything runs into your receiver then into your display.

If you run fiber optic you'll still get Dolby Digital, but not the Dolby True HD.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decelerate /forum/post/16903587

Actually, with a recent update available on this site I believe, the M series is ever bit as good, if not *slightly* better than comparable elite models. With the addition of the ISFccc modes, the M series monitors can be just as accurate (and bright).

The 500M, along with the signature series monitors, have a little of what is refered to around here as 10g tech. The blacks on these models are marginally lower even than those of their already outstanding kuro siblings. I'm not sure about 600M in this regard though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts