AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help,

I need to replace my 1997 era 12" Infinity BU-2 Subwoofer due to new size constraints after purchasing a replacement couch. My 14"x14" Infinity 12" driver sub no longer fits behind this new couch. I haven't shopped for a new sub in years so at a bit of a loss. I'm using a Onkyo TR NX-801 to push my current sub. I really need to keep the width of the new sub down to less than 10 inches, preferably 9 inches max. However, the height and/or length of the sub isn't an issue and can be much greater than this. My room is an open design with half walls to the kitchen and open to below from the upstairs (probably not optimum for home theater). But the living room itself is about 16' x 17' and is carpeted. The sub would be placed behind the couch against a wall. I listen to TV/movies 95% of the time at a moderate volume level. I would like to keep the cost down below $400.

Any recommendations for good powerful bass with the above criteria?
I saw that PSB/PB makes some decent stuff, not sure of there smaller subs though.

I'm assume the new sub will have a smaller driver with my size restrictions, will this mean I will be losing bass quality from my current BU-2 setup?
Or has technology allowed the smaller drivers to sound just as good. The output of my BU-2 is listed at 100 watts.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am full of two cent opinions this morning. Your width limitation is going to limit your choices significantly. You don't mention a price point or what equipment you are using, but the sub that pops to mind is the Sunfire HRS-8, will have the same or more output as your infinity and will sound better (I recall not being impressed with that particular Infinity sub 10 years ago and the competition has improved a lot in 10 years). The HRS-8 is a decent sounding sub, but far from spectacular.

If you could find a few more inches of width, you would benefit greatly. At 11" you can squeeze in a HSU STF-1, a nice little subwoofer that is far cheaper than the Sunfire and a bit better sounding. Get that up to 14" and you start having some real choices (HSU STF-2; Velodyne Minivee 10", SVS-SB12NSD when it comes out soon).

Remember subwoofer output (and to an extent sound quality) is a compromise of box size, extension, and power. Whenever you try to make really small box, it takes a lot of power and very strong drivers to maintain decent output and extension, that costs money.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the Sunfire is over my $400 price point but I'll look into the STF-1. Any opinions on the Definitive Technology - ProSub 800 8" 300-Watt sub? I heard it at Best Buy and heard some distortion. But not sure if it was there setup.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Check out the Definitive Technology - ProSub 800 ... I've never heard it but it has decent specs and is about 10" wide. Plus it might be available for you to demo at your local Best Buy.

Amazon Reviews.

Edit: Doh, we seemed to have posted at around the same time.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
The Def Tech Pro Sub 800 is one of those subs that has its maximum output (103.7 db) at 62 HZ and output falls off at 21 db per octave below that. What that means is that its maximum output at 32 Hz is 82.7 db. This is barely audible. And at 25 Hz the output is limited to 76 db which is useless.

Here is the test. Scroll down to read the summary of the subwoofer.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...er-system.html

The HSU STF-1 is a much better subwoofer.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18266813

The Def Tech Pro Sub 800 is one of those subs that has its maximum output (103.7 db) at 62 HZ and output falls off at 21 db per octave below that. What that means is that its maximum output at 32 Hz is 82.7 db. This is barely audible. And at 25 Hz the output is limited to 76 db which is useless.

Here is the test. Scroll down to read the summary of the subwoofer.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/spe...er-system.html

The HSU STF-1 is a much better subwoofer.

Agreed, it is much better. However, his size requirements were very strict and doesn't look like it would work for him. If you can squeeze that extra inch in OP, definately go the HSU route.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
The sub is going behind your couch, against the wall. Why can't you move the couch another 2-4" from the wall to accommodate the size of your current sub?

You don't want to sit close to a wall anyway, because the bass sounds very boomy and bloated there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/18267670

The sub is going behind your couch, against the wall. Why can't you move the couch another 2-4" from the wall to accommodate the size of your current sub?

You don't want to sit close to a wall anyway, because the bass sounds very boomy and bloated there.

I don't like seeing a big gap behind the couch and I need all the room I can get to view my 63" plasma. The lower portion of my entertainment chair (couch) is about 9" from the wall due to the angle of the chair back. Because it reclines, that is the closest it can get to the wall. Obviously, a 9" sub width would fit perfect there. But I may can spare an inch or so.

Thanks for the info on Definitive Technology. I'm not surprised that it has limitations. I really didn't like the sound of it in the Magnolia room at Best buy. Liking the HSU even more now unless someone else has an alternative.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
No other place in your room to put the sub?

And how close are you to the plasma? I have a 100" projector screen at about 10 feet back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/18268554

No other place in your room to put the sub?

And how close are you to the plasma? I have a 100" projector screen at about 10 feet back.

No, my house is an open floor design and the other areas of the room are either open to other rooms/areas or have another couch or entertainment ctr in the way. I had to move it where it is now because of other new furniture.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The STF-1 is a good choice is you can fit it. Another options is a Bravus sub from Aperion as they're pretty small.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, thanks for info. Hope this is okay to ask on here but any recommendation on where to buy the STF-1. It looks like an older sub and I'm not seeing many that carry it. Also the fact that its older technology is a somewhat negative too. The NHT Verve looks promising but it only has 2 reviews on Amazon.com, one glowing and one not.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer948 /forum/post/18273519

Okay, thanks for info. Hope this is okay to ask on here but any recommendation on where to buy the STF-1. It looks like an older sub and I'm not seeing many that carry it. Also the fact that its older technology is a somewhat negative too. The NHT Verve looks promising but it only has 2 reviews on Amazon.com, one glowing and one not.

The only place you can buy it is from HSU as far as I know. They're an Internet Direct company, like Elemental Designs, SVS, Epik etc. and their products are not sold at B&M stores or other online sites.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts