AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing some advice regarding changing screen size using a current screen and masking it.

First off what is a good material to Blank off the edges of my existing screen? I am going to try and mask a 4:3 96" screen to be 16:9 (same width)

My reason for doing so is because the height of the screen takes up my whole wall and the projector has to be tilted up to get the picture within the frame and I think that it is affecting keystoning quite a bit.

Secondly I would like to know the best method of changing to a 16:9 resolution on my computer to project a 16:9 image.

Thirdly how would I then squeeze a 4:3 image onto this 16:9 screen (for watching TV through computer).

Will I need to move the projector? Hopefully not as I have a low ceiling and the brackett will only mount to foor joists.

Should I be masking the screen smaller?

Sorry for all the questions (I'm still learning)

Nec XG110 (122.5" from screen (not center but top) to green lens face)

Da-lite Pearlescent Screen (97X72")

As always any help is greatly appreciated

Alun

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
A black velour wrapped around 1/8" plywood or paneling from the local Cloth World would work well.

You want to reset the projectors vertical amplitude to reduce the height of the image to fit the new screen.

You need to use Zoom Player, or YXY, or TheaterTek to be able to resize the 4:3 image to the center of the screen, leaving the sides unused.

You won't need to move the projector if the screen width stays the same.

Don't make the screen any smaller than you have to. In FP, bigger is better.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Vern, that pretty much answers everything but I am wondering why I would have to change the vertical amplitude to fit 16x9. Currently I am using the projector 4:3 and am filling the whole screen (albiet with the keystone problem) and when I watch a 16:9 dvd the image already shrinks to fit the screen width wise. Is there any benifit to shrinking the amplitued?

Alun

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Alun,

You're in for a treat! First thing is to set your DVD player to output in a 16:9 format. This will add 33% more resolution to your DVD images. Here's how it works....

Right now you are viewing 16x9 movies on a 4x3 screen with the raster of the projector filling the 4x3 portion of your screen. This is not utilizing the most out of your DVDs as the black bars are wasting precious resolution. Here's how the DVD of Castaway looks on your screen now....

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...astaway4x3.jpg

Now when you set your DVD player to output to 16x9, then image will fill your entire raster and will display like this on your screen...

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...ystretched.jpg

Now you use your projector's vertical amplitude adjustment and squeeze the image back down to fit the 16x9 area, thus gaining more light output and 33% more resolution. Now the image looks like this on your screen...

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...staway16x9.jpg

Enjoy,

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Dman, That was a great explanation of a subject that is often misunderstood ! Now, what is the particular terminology of software DVD players to output the anamorphic picture, do I want to "Keep Aspect Ratio" "Lock aspect ratio" or use "Window aspect ratio" I always get confused by the different choices and don't know exactly what to use. I use Zoom Player with WinDVD in XP and I'm not sure I've got the correct choice for aspect ratio to get the anamorphic playback.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Paul,

The only software I have played with HTPC wise was Theatertek. I had to turn off "Lock aspect ratio" in order to get anamorphic DVDs to display properly on 16:9 screens.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is very intresting and informative. Thanx D-Man for your time and effort. I do have one concern though and this is that I have noticed when looking into the lens that when I also adjust image size vertically the raster moves with it. I thought that ONLY the amplitude adjustment changes the raster size. Weired indeed...hmmm

Alun

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oops forgot to get your opinion. Do you think I should mask my screen a bit smaller and get the projector closer? How much difference would this make?

Thanx Alun

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
I do have one concern though and this is that I have noticed when looking into the lens that when I also adjust image size vertically the raster moves with it. I thought that ONLY the amplitude adjustment changes the raster size.
This is indeed correct. The raster is the lit portion of the tube face, and the video image is displayed within the raster. When you adjust the size of the raster, then naturally the video image will change with it.

Quote:
Do you think I should mask my screen a bit smaller and get the projector closer? How much difference would this make?
You currently have a 96"x72" 4:3 screen, correct? If so, then you would only need to mask the top and bottom to achieve a 96"x54" 16:9 screen. This would enable you to keep your projector mounted exactly where it is.

OTOH, if you're asking about masking to an even smaller screen in both the height and width, then yes you will have to move the projector closer. This will give you a brighter image with more perceived shapness and detail, but only if you can live with the smaller screen size.

For me I have a NEC 6PG Plus which I run on a 80"x45" screen. This screen is perfect for my somewhat narrow room, and my CRT projector uses 7" tubes. Your XG-110 with 8" tubes can easily accomodate a 96"x54" screen, but a smaller screen will yield better results. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx again DMan but I should point out that I mentioned moving the "Image Size" affects my raster size as well,not the other way around.

Go figure???

Alun

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Thanx again DMan but I should point out that I mentioned moving the "Image Size" affects my raster size as well,not the other way around.
Oops, you're right I mis-read your question. But this is normal as the "Image Size" function works in the exact same manner as adjusting the "Amplitude". Both adjust the size of the raster.

You should use the Amplitude when setting up the Green geometry, then converge Red and Blue. Then if you need to make some minor sizing adjustments then just use the Image Size function.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gotcha! Thanx DMan, I understand now. I'll give this a try and I am considering a slightly smaller screen but will wait for a bit.

Alun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.