AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks -

I was looking for some advice on a satellite system. We are in a small apartment now and my KEF Reference One's are a little overkill for this room and eating up a lot of precious floor space. I have 4 of the Reference One's for L & R and Surround L & R with a KEF Model 90 Center. I also have an older sony sub that I have modded to sound pretty decent.

Anyway I think it's time to pop those KEF's back into storage and start looking for a little system. I know, I know, I know.

I DON'T need a sub, have no problem holding onto the Sony so I was thinking of the Polk RM75 system...I can't post links yet but NewEgg has it for $199.99 shipping and I am seeing some refurb packs on eBay for less.

The hard part is most of these systems come with a sub which I really don't need. Now if I am better off getting a system that comes with a sub for the same money as one that doesn't I'd have no problem with that and just stick the Sony sub with the KEF's. I don't want to be a penny rich and pound stupid and I'm not attached to this sub for any reason.

Any specific systems I should be checking out?

We are about 80% TV and Movies and 20% music and all at moderate to low volumes. Most important aspect for me is clear sound at a low volume and good intelligibility of dialog.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
Polk subs generally aren't that good so your Sony sub is probably better.

Its a big step down from your KEFs to little satellites in my opinion but if you feel you need to go that route then do what you have to do.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If we're talking small, small systems, Orb Audio and Mirage Nanosats are my favorites. For a sub, check out HSU, SVS, eD, and Epik.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I actually like the Polk RM6750 5.1 satelites over the Polk RM75. the Polk RM95 was a great deal at $250. The Satelites with the Polk RM6750 are larger and can handle a slightly lower crossover

Edit: being that you are downsizing for the time being the Polk RM6750 or RM75 will hold you over until you can bring the kefs out of storage

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the question is -

Polk RM75 for $199 shipped and use my sony sub

or

Polk RM6750 for $229 shipped with a new sub.

The RM75 satellites seems a little more compact...

Any insight there?

$30 is not a deal breaker if the satellites are that much better and even if I don't use the Polk sub.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19528679

Polk subs generally aren't that good so your Sony sub is probably better.

Its a big step down from your KEFs to little satellites in my opinion but if you feel you need to go that route then do what you have to do.

You should see my living room. I could get away with a boombox in here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/19528725

If we're talking small, small systems, Orb Audio and Mirage Nanosats are my favorites. For a sub, check out HSU, SVS, eD, and Epik.

The Mirage look very nice but are out of my price range for a "temporary" system.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad720 /forum/post/19532137

So the question is -

Polk RM75 for $199 shipped and use my sony sub

or

Polk RM6750 for $229 shipped with a new sub.

The RM75 satellites seems a little more compact...

Any insight there?

$30 is not a deal breaker if the satellites are that much better and even if I don't use the Polk sub.

The RM6750 have larger drivers at 3.25" versus the 2.5" the rm75's. I perfered the sounds of the RM6750 over the RM705 as the there seemed to be a better blend from satelites. The sub doesn't skip a beat with movies, music is hit or miss really

The RM6750 satelite design has been around for ages and was perfected before going with something more stylish

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad720 /forum/post/19552656

Thanks for all the advice, I won a bid on a refurb RM6750 set direct from Polk for well under $200.

I'll let you all know how they sound once it gets here.

Nice they won't compete with your kef's but for under $200 you should be pleasantly surprised. set the x-cover at 120hz and you'll be golden

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The eagle has landed. I have them all hooked up, haven't broken out the SPL meter or anything yet, just set the speaker distances and crossovers in my receiver.

Movies/TV =

Music =

The dialog clarity is impressive. These are lively without being harsh. I will miss having a bigger center though, it's definitely lacking in low end.

Music seems like a lost cause but I will tweak.

I wonder if I can sneak a set of nice bookshelves in just for stereo music.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts