AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on teh 27th floor hi-rise at 900 N Lake Shore.

I can get all channels from 90-45% (pax is the worst)

Checked antennaweb and both PAX and WBBM are broadcast from teh same place.

I am using a Jensen remote indoor UHF/VHF antenna to MyHD. Seems to work great EXECPT no wbbm ch 3-1 - 0% signal

I have tried to gain teh VHF but it does not help.

Any suggestions? I am like 1 block away from teh hankock building!

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Extend the VHF dipoles fully and completely horizontally.
________O________

Aim the dipoles perpendicular to the transmitting antenna.

If that doesn't work, get a better VHF antenna (outdoor).

If a better antenna doesn't help, complain to the Chairman of the FCC's DTV Task Force:

Rick Chessen
[email protected]

202 418-2602

Let him know how much you've invested in HDTV, only to find out you can't receive local OTA digital channels with a simple consumer-installed antenna.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,

This is the most ludicrous thing I have seen. Is this becuase WBBM is VHF>??? I get PAX at 55% strenght from teh John Handcock and get WBBM at 0%!!!

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sjchmura
Well,

This is the most ludicrous thing I have seen. Is this becuase WBBM is VHF>???
More likely because their digital transmitter is LOW POWER. ~2.5kw ERP. Go here and enter WBBM in the call sign search.

·
Registered
62 Posts
May be that the signal is too strong, actually. If you have a VHF antenna, and you tried adjusting the angle of your antenna (your signal is probably coming from an angle of about 60 degrees above the horizon), get an attenuator to reduce the strength of the signal. It may just be too loud since the transmitter is across the street.

Ghosting/multipath is also a huge problem in urban areas. I'll never receive some stations from my location. Highly directional antennas are supposed to help with this, but in such an extreme environment, even those may not solve the problem. But since all the other stations come in ok, maybe this isn't your problem.

So if that doesn't help, get cable or satellite :D

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, in condo buildings in Chicago:

1. Digital Cable is NOT avaialable

2. You cannot get satelite

So you are stuck with comcast analog in chicago downtown/streterville area - can't even get high speed cable internet.

So I am on the 27th floor abotu 40 floors below the transmitter. I have the antnnas perpendicular to th ehandcock building - this is all I can do - correct?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed - but I think living 2 blocks away adn having a question about the PAX = GOOD, WBBM=BAD is not poor netiquite to start a new thread.

That being said with the new antena I can now get 10% signal!!!!! Just 2 blocks away despite PAX being 50% (same tower)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is that 10% on the decoder's signal meter? If it is then you might have massive overload of signal. I don't know what kind of HD box you have but, each one reacts to overpowering differently. Hughes Boxes (mits and tosh as well) will show a signal that jumps anywhere between 30-40% and it will jump alot. Sony Boxes will show no signal. Samsung boxes generally will show real low signal like 10%. Each box is different but that is what I have found as a generality. You probably really need to attenuate the signal. Might also need an antenna with a really wide pickup to help with multi-path

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm - I am using a MyHD card so maybe I do have overload ....

I am using a Jensen Movable/Amplified antena. I am getting 70-85% for all other stations but they are ALL UHF.

So you think I should try to attenuate the VHF? Will have to figoure out how the hell to do that :)

Thanks - never thought of overload. Just assumed I was amining the antennna wrong :) But PAX (same plance Handcock) comes in fine (albeit the worst signal at 50%)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tri-state electronics sells attenuators and they are pretty cheap. Its just something that you plug in-line with the signal that will tone down the signal a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.