AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Samsung T151 (open box) and a Silver Sensor to try my luck at receiving DTV. I'm located in the near north side of downtown chicago, only 4 blocks from the hancock and a few miles from the sears tower were most of the DTV is being broadcasted from (checked on antennaweb). I am however in a highrise, surrounded by highrises... (40 story building, 22nd floor) theres a 40 story building to my south, and 3 to my east. Unfortunately, I don't have line of sight to any of the broadcast antennas (too close, blocked by the buildings. Being as close as I am, I can't imagine that I would have a signal strength issue....However I'm guessing i have severe multipath...

Unfortunately.. when I plug everything in and tried to run things, I get 0 signal strength on everything... after playing with the Silver Sensor (moving it around) litterally inside the apartment (got a 20ft coax and just walked around with it... I found 1 spot in 1 specific angle (pointing northeast sitting on my coffee table..which is strange since the sears tower is to my southwest) that gets me ABC 7-0,7-1 and thats it.. What strikes me as odd is that the signal strength meter always shows 0 or 90%... nothing in the middle ever... could I potentially have a bad box? (it was open box after all) or is this a typical symptom of multipath, and the box just can't lock on? If so, is there anything I can do to alleviate the problem? I know its not an outside/inside problem since i walked onto my balcony with the SS and I still get no signal... should I try bunny ears or perhaps a creative aluminum foil sculture? All help is appreciated! thank you all!

-John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can't help you specifically but I just installed an open box Zenith HD420 (same class as the SIR 151) and haven't had any problem using a cheap pair of amped rabbit ears from Radio Shack (dipole VHF, helix UHF). I'm further northwest, about 3200 north and 1800 west.

I did notice the first few times I did the automatic channel scan, I got nothing. I thought I had a bad box, too. The third time it worked and all signals are around 80-90%. Telemundo or Novicias or whatever drops out occasionally but everything else is good (except Fox WFLD-DT that conveniently dropped the day 24 was on, grrr). My signal strength varies noticably, not just on or off like yours sounds like. Maybe check your coax connections?

I'm on the third floor, antenna is indoors. From my roof (top of 4th storey) I have a line of sight to Sears, Hancock, etc.

FWIW, ABC 7-1 HD is the best looking channel along with WTTW-DT (PBS).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.