AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some people have indicated that they like the 3 adjustable DPLII parameters that are available on the Music mode on Denon and Yamaha receivers.

I have been told that it even sounds better to use the DPLII Music mode and have the adjustments available when watching DPL encoded movies.

I know that when a DPL encoded movie is decoded with DPLII movie mode it will take advantage of the 4 encoded channels (center, right, left, rear) and decode them into what sounds like 5 distinct channels.

Since many like the adjustments available with the DPLII Music mode, I was wondering if the DPLII Music mode also decodes these 4 channels into 5, or it only takes the information from the stereo channels (left & right) like a 2 channel stereo would, and then decodes them to the 5 channels.

I know that the DPLII music mode spreads some of the center channel to the L & R front speakers. And that the DPLII movie modes does not widen that center channel.

I guess what I am getting at is besides this spreading of the center channel, what is the difference between the Music and Movie modes of DPLII. For example would it be possible (on a Yamaha or Denon) to fool around with the 3 adjustments and make the music mode sound exactly like the movie mode.

Thanks for any info.

Allan

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
The setting in Music mode cannot duplicate the Movie mode. Close but not exactly. The closest is Center Width set to full center, Dimension to the middle (0), and Panorama off. This makes the L,C,R outputs identical in Movie and Music.

Even so, there are differences in the surrounds. Music mode has a mild "timbre adjust" filter while Movie mode does not, and Movie mode has added surround delay to induce Haas effect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.