AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, for such a newbie question .... I keep hearing how great sounding Dolby Pro Logic II has been but I am having a hard time understanding what it truly is. What does it mean to get a 5.1 receiver which has DPLII ? What is best for listening to movies for example; 5.1 Dolby Digital or DPLII ?

Basically I am wondering does Dolby Pro Logic II split the rear channel speakers (stereo) like Digital? or am I missing something here? How do the two differ or are they one in the same if the receiver supports both? :confused:

·
Registered
904 Posts
sloper,

DPLII is a processing method that extracts 5.1 channels of sound from 2 channels, it is an extension of the concept behind dolby surround and pro logic. many people (myself included) believe it is a huge step forward and brings new life to older formats like TV, VHS, CD, Radio... anything still provided in a 2 channel stereo format.

DVDs and HDTV (some LDs as well) have the ability to record a full 5.1 channels (or more) in a few different formats. Mostly you'll find 5.1 in Dolby Digital or DTS.

The main difference between DPLII and DD/DTS is that DPLII creates 5.1 channels from 2 original channels whereas DD/DTS are ways of encoding 5.1 original channels. DPLII is called a matrix format and DD/DTS are discrete formats.

jake

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Beck
Don't forget that DPLII is not a format, but a processing method. There is no DPLII encoded material - it just processes stereo and DPL encoded material.
yet...

I think they are already introducing some games encoded with it...

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
" I can see old movies but as far as video games, wouldn't 5.1 be better?"

Probably, but since the audio needs to be basically mixed near real time it is probably considerably easier to do it in DPLII then it would be in DD.

Shawn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.