AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have an RX-V2400 and have been using it for almost 4 months with a 5.1 setup. My room isn't well suited to 7.1 so I had yet to try it out with back surrounds.

My sofa is right up against the back wall and my wife won't tolerate speakers on the back wall so I thought I was out of luck. This past weekend I decided to try out 6.1 by placing my old center channel on the floor behind the couch (I only had to move the couch up about 4 inches from the back wall) facing up. I must say that overall, despite the poor location of the back surround speaker the effect was pretty good. I'm going to give it a try like this for a while and if I'm satisfied with it I'll step up to 7.1.

In the meantime I have a few questions on DPLIIx with a 6.1 setup. My 2400 came upgraded right from the get go with DPLIIx but to my surprise 5.1 material cannot be used with the DPLIIx Movie mode on a 6.1 setup, it's only available with a 7.1 setup. As such, the only DPLIIx mode available for 5.1 sources is DPLIIx Music. I can access DPLIIx Movie with 2 channel sources but not 5.1 channel sources. Have the rest of you 6.1 owners experienced the same thing?

Since I'm limited to DPLIIx Music for 5.1 sources I was wondering if anyone else with a 6.1 setup has experimented between this mode and forced DD-EX and DTS-ES. Which one have you found to work best DPLIIx Music or DD-EX/DTS-ES. My concern with forced EX/ES is possibly collapsing the Left and Right Surrounds into the surround back channel.

Also, I looked on the DTS website and noticed the DTS neo:6 is supposed to be able to create a surround back channel from 5.1 sources yet I haven't come across a receiver where DTS neo:6 is usable for anything but 2 channel sources. Does anyone know of a receiver where DTS neo:6 can be used to create a back surround from 5.1 sources.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I also have a 2400 and had a 6.1 set up. I used DD EX/ES for the rear ch on 5.1 material. This sounds pretty good. That is until I upgraded to 7.1 and it blew my socks off on DPL IIx 7.1. I recommend it highly.

·
Registered
31,174 Posts
EVT,
Quote:
to my surprise 5.1 material cannot be used with the DPLIIx Movie mode on a 6.1 setup, it's only available with a 7.1 setup.
Playing a 5.1-channel source on a 6.1-speaker set-up doesn't allow PLIIx to do anything beyond what EX decoding already does (i.e., extract a single surround-back channel). Therefore PLIIx is disengaged. Similarly, if you were using a 5.1-speaker set-up, you wouldn't be able to select PLIIx, because the set-up doesn't allow for anything beyond regular PLII.
Quote:
Which one have you found to work best DPLIIx Music or DD-EX/DTS-ES. My concern with forced EX/ES is possibly collapsing the Left and Right Surrounds into the surround back channel.
None of us here can really know which will sound better to you; and that's the most important thing: your personal preference (since you will be the one listening to your system, not us). Try both modes, trust your ears and choose the one you prefer. The surround channels may collapse, but no actual damage will occur. ;) So experiment away!
Quote:
DTS neo:6 is supposed to be able to create a surround back channel from 5.1 sources yet I haven't come across a receiver where DTS neo:6 is usable for anything but 2 channel sources. Does anyone know of a receiver where DTS neo:6 can be used to create a back surround from 5.1 sources.
Probably every current ES capable receiver has this "feature". The technology used to extract surround-back content from DD EX soundtracks is a variant of Dolby's matrix decoder (usually PLII, sometimes old Pro Logic). Likewise, DTS uses their own matrix decoder (Neo:6) to extract surround-back content from DTS ES soundtracks. Matrix decoders have a rear hemisphere (where ambient sounds go) and a front portion (where a centre channel is extracted from the main left & right channels). It is this front portion of PLII and Neo:6 that is used to create a surround-back channel from the left & right surround channels.

Make sense? (Please say yes)

Best,

Sanjay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.