AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DPR 2005 is rated 120Wpc at 0.15% THD 8 ohm 20hz-20khz

AVR 7300 is rated 110wpc at 0.07% THD 8 ohms 20hz-20khz


Does anyone know how to calculate the power output of dpr 2005 if its being measured at 0.07%THD ? Or does anyone know how much power should reduce if the THD is doubled ? Any formulaes out there from audio theory ?


As long as THD is not the same, the output of two different avrs cant really be compared, even if they are from the same family.


All H/K AVRs are being rated at 0.07 % THD and all DPRs are being rated at 0.15% THD.


Thanks

JD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Don't pay any attention to the THD specs. At those levels they're pretty much inaudible. The 2005 is a digital amp receiver, so the distortion is measured with noise and is a bit deceiving. The difference in power is about 0.3dB, which is essentially nothing. HK is better at spec'ing actual power so either would be fine. I prefer digital amps because they clip with out-of-band distortion (i.e. less grundge at max power). Try to find some reviews on each and choose the more reliable one.


Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks paul.


i've avr 630 and picked up dpr 2005 from frys today. but just wondering if the dpr 2005 claim of 120w is over exaggerated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheDoe
thanks paul.


i've avr 630 and picked up dpr 2005 from frys today. but just wondering if the dpr 2005 claim of 120w is over exaggerated.
The HK2005 was tested in a major UK magazine, it put out about 135W/CH into 8 Ohms and >200W/CH into 4 Ohms.. It puts out about 50% more power than the HK630..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M Code,


But why measure dpr's with 0.15% THD and avr with 0.07%. I'd wonder that the wattage will drop as the THD lowers. Thats how Sony can say 100Wpc but with a 10% THD into 4 ohm speaker.


I'm just questioning how much real watt per channel of 7300 will be IF its measured at 0.15% THD _or_ that of dpr 2005 if its measured with 0.07% THD.


I'm sure there is a formula somewhere.


Thanks

Mudit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
The 2005 is considerably more powerful to my ears...digital amps seem to have soft clipping much like tube amplifiers, allowing for more usable power; where as solid state electronics clip more abruptly creating nasty distortion at their limit. In general, THD measurements under 1% are inaudible. I used the 2005 to power magnepan 1.6's with much better results than the avr7200 which has similar ratings as the 7300. The 2005 had much better control of the bass and a much cleaner sound overall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
And...geneylim...for only $499 at Fry's (if one can still find them in stock), the HK2005 should be a no-brainer acquisition, especially for those who need a new receivers. I personally own 2 digital receivers now. The Hk2005 I got today from Fry's and the JVC Digital Hybrid of about 2 years old; I like them better than the analog Yamaha TopArt...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheDoe
M Code,


But why measure dpr's with 0.15% THD and avr with 0.07%. I'd wonder that the wattage will drop as the THD lowers. Thats how Sony can say 100Wpc but with a 10% THD into 4 ohm speaker.


I'm just questioning how much real watt per channel of 7300 will be IF its measured at 0.15% THD _or_ that of dpr 2005 if its measured with 0.07% THD.


I'm sure there is a formula somewhere.


Thanks

Mudit
The reason the THD is higher on the DPRs is due to its digital amplifiers.. Typically, digital amplifier have a slightly higher THD content than analog amplifiers everything else being equal.. The amplifier stage in the HK2005 is from D2Audio and was specially developed for HK and if you crank it up make sure your loudspeakers can handle the power. Also HK is very unique when they rate their amplifiers.. be it analog or digital..

They don't lie, stretch or hype to get some bigger spec number..


Regarding the 7300 if its power is measured at 0.15% there would be virtually no difference to that measured @0.07%, as its power vs THD is quite flat until its power is maxed.. Though the lowest THD is @ mid-band (1kHz) like 0.02% and then increases to about 0.05% in the lower and higher frequencies. However for max power the 7300 will put out about 30% more power than the 2005 everything else being equal.. But then again the 7300 is twice the size of the 2005..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code
However for max power the 7300 will put out about 30% more power than the 2005 everything else being equal.. But then again the 7300 is twice the size of the 2005..
M Code,


Can you please care to explain what does that mean ? I thought dpr 2005 has more power than 7300 ?


Or are you talking about power supply rating ? DPR has 1073W and AVR 7300 has 1360 W. But if thats the case, isnt it because of efficient power supply in the digital receivers.


Thanks

JD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheDoe
M Code,


Can you please care to explain what does that mean ? I thought dpr 2005 has more power than 7300 ?


Or are you talking about power supply rating ? DPR has 1073W and AVR 7300 has 1360 W. But if thats the case, isnt it because of efficient power supply in the digital receivers.


Thanks

JD
The reason the 7300 can put out more max peak power is due to the power supplies..

The 7300 uses a jumbo conventional power supply that can deliver higher peak voltage. The 2005 uses a switching power supply (similar to a PC) and though switching design has very significant current it does not put out as much peak voltage for short periods of time........


Note the big differences between the 7300 and 2005 is their power supply efficiency, the 7300 runs at about 50% compared to 90% for the 2005. For every 2 watts of input wattage the 2005 puts out about 1.8 watts, whereas the 7300 takes 2 watts and outputs only 1 watt, the rest goes out in the form of heat...
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top