Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

From scanning the posts here, it seems there is a lot of religion on this subject -- but I thought I'd share my own experiences.

First, some background.

In my main media room, I have Infinity MTS Prelude 5.2 speakers, powered by a Pio 59txi (I switched to the Infinity's from B&W 803's).

In my living room, I have B&W 805's.

In my home studio I have Infinity Intermezzo 2.6's + sub powered by an aging Yamaha DSP-A1.

In my bedroom I also have Infinity Intermezzo 2.6's.

My quest began with the purchase of both a XR-70 (new) and an XR-45 (ebay).

I tried them both with both the Intermezzo's and the 805's.

They sounded only so-so with the 805's. A little thin to my ears: clear but thin - and at medium volume and above - noticeably compressed. I wanted them to be the Krell killers that everyone talks about - but they weren't even close.

Next amp to arrive was a refurbished HK-630. I switched out the XR-70 and used the HK630 with the 805's. Wow - what an improvement - smoother, cleaner and so much more comfortable and moderate and loud levels. Although the 630 is a lot better than the XR-70, it still isn't quite there -- so the hunt remains on for the right amp for the B&W's. I don't need any features except digital decoding...anyone got any ideas?

Next focus was the bedroom Intermezzo's. I needed a receiver less than 5" tall due to placement issues -- and so felt compelled to go with a digital amp. I tried the XR-45 and the XR-70 and again they were a little on the thin side (better than with the 805's though). Again, I was somewhat underwhelmed.

I saw J&R had the DPR 2005 on a mega sale -- so picked one up a couple of days ago and switched it in. Yowza -- that's more like it. Powerful, clean, detailed and capable of more powerthan I'll ever need. The Panasonic's are now sitting lonely on a shelf while I figure out what to do with them.

Interestingly, while the DPR 2005 is undoubtedly a better match than the Panny's, my Yamaha/Intermezzo combo is better still (but too tall).

My conclusion from this escapade is that you shoudl ignore this little review!

At the end of the day, my experience is that any review of an Amp is somewhat useless - because the real issue is AMP + SPEAKERS + ROOM. Each of the three interact with each other in unique ways -- so all one can really conclude is that a given amp works better with given speakers in a given environment.

That being said - in my set of combos, I am sad to say that the panny's sounded like HTIB receivers while the DPR sounds like a grown up receiver.

The Yamaha sounds higher end still and is even better than the 59txi with the Intermezzo's - but merely average with the Prelude MTS's.

Funny world eh...

If anyone can think of the right combo for my 805's, I'd appreciate some input.

What I really need is a receiver that can send the Front Left and Right outputs to a zone 2 speaker set - as well as driving the 80's to the next level.

Hope this helps someone.

s.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I auditioned the Panasonic 45 in a 2-channel setup, first with a pair of B&W speakers, then with a pair of NHT speakers, using a Rega player as a source. I spent a week with this setup (swapping speakers in and out), and then replaced it with a Rotel pre-amp/2-channel amp combination, without looking back. No comparison in my mind: I greatly preferred the Rotel setup.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I believe a good indication of how good the Panasonic receivers really are is the fact that few people are even metioning price anymore. They are constantly being compared to equipment that's several times their price. Keep up the impressions everybody.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.