Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been using an Onkyo 919THX + external DD/DTS decoders (Onkyo/Millenium) for several years now and have been quite satisfied. However, I have been looking to upgrade due to all the EX/ES material available today. .

I had been thinking of getting just another pre/pro to replace my old ones since I use external amps(for LCR) with my Onkyo too.

I stumbled on an wild deal for the DPR1001 and instantly bought one. From initial hearing, I am just amazed at how good the surround decoding has gotten over the years. The DPR1001 has pretty good performance in terms of the rear channels being incredibly more alive than I have heard before. Logic 7 was truly amazing on 2ch input from my Dish STB.

There was only one issue, the sound from my old decoders is a lot more spacious, and create a larger spacious over all sound (though the rears dont perform that well). I was wondering if this was due to 2 possible reasons,

1. An SMPS power supply which could be quite noisy, espicially in an all digital reciever.

2. Though the Cirrus DSP is an excellent one, what is the choice for the DACs driving the pre-outs?

Now, my question is does the HK 630 better the DPR1001. The power supply is beefier. Newer DSP from Cirrus, but how about the DACs driving the preouts.

BTW, are the DACs between the 430, 630 and 7200 the same?

Now, the next step up would be a Rotel 1066 but it has the same Cirrus DSP and probably better DACs and a significantly different design.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Vikram

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Well, I had the Rotel 1066, I sold it because of an issue when switching from and to Dolby Digital modes, it would cause a Crackle in my speakers, Rotel was aware of it at the time and told me they will look into it. Personally I would verify that they fixed the issue before purchasing it. I did purchase the DPR1001 today, should be in early next week and I will be using it as a prepro, from what I read, it does not have the delay lock issue that the HK630 has (it senses the DD signal, locks on, then drops out for 2 seconds, the locks steady), from what I read, HK is looking into a fix for it. Good luck in your hunt.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.