Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stunning PQ.

Horrendous everything else.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A tornado takes him from Dallas to Mexico?

That's over 700 miles, WTF?

I realize its a chick flick but most chicks can do math.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
532 Posts
What network was this on?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Mr. Wiggles,

There would be little room for anything else if we started listing the movies that are not worth conversion to HD. I agree with your sentiment, but hesitate to go down that road simply because it is so crowded an avenue. I just took my six-year-old to see "Clones" and for the first time realized the great attraction of the "Dark Side": THE PEOPLE ON THE DARK SIDE ARE SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING THAN THE STRAIGHT ARROWS. Swashbuckling and fun replaced by pedantry and bickering. Art

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
I liked "Dr. T and His Women" but I am a big fan of Robert Altman films anyway. He is one of our greatest American directors. It is not one of his better films and I have only watched a few minutes of the HD version since I own the DVD and originally saw the film in a theater. Altman films are probably not for the "popcorn" crowd.

Since I am on the "left coast" I see a fair amount of what amounts to strange programming that plays around 11:00 - 12:30 PDT on HBO-E HD. I suspect that most of these films have run their gamut as far as an financial life goes and the rights owners sell them to HBO for a song and HBO does the HD transfer.

One film I saw a week ago was a direct to video piece of junk called "Diplomatic Siege" which makes one wonder how it ever got the greenlight unless someone had an influential uncle. But there it was, someone probably HBO spent the money on an HD transfer in 16:9. BTW, I would not count "Dr. T" in this group since it was a PPV headline movie a few months back.

- Brian

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
Stunning PQ.

Horrendous everything else.

-Mr. Wigggles
You didn't like this movie, so it shouldn't have been transferred to HD. Should it have been shown in SD?

Viewer B didn't like movie B (but viwer A, that's you, did), so viewer B is upset that an HD transfer was made and viewer A proclaims he's so glad a transfer was made.

Viewer C didn't like movie C, but did like movie A and B. So viewer C is angry as can be that an HD transfer was made when instead he wishes an HD transfer could have been made of his favorite movie of all time from 1985, which has never had a DVD or HD transfer made.

Since there is no consensus on many movies as to whether or not an HD transfer should have been made, Hollywood, HBO, and Showtime decided to stop making HD transfers.

Meanwhile, there have been 13 separate threads on why movies A, B, C, and D should or shouldn't have an HD transfer made. Soon someone proposes changing the name of programming section to the movie review section.

Is this forum going to become a movie review forum? And are we going to have hundreds of threads about which movies are worthy of an HD transfer or a DVD for that matter? Some seem to love to complain about anything and everything. People are mad as heck that Showtime doesn't have enough HD movies. But if they have some and people don't think it was worthy of an HD transfer, they post and complain.

Saturday, apparently HBO had the Spanish language tract on their HD channel. They were accused of incompetence in a thread. Saturday night, apparently Showtime showed a movie in 4:3 that was scheduled for HD (this is something that happened with HBO very frequently in 1999 and early 2000). A thread immediately appeared accusing Showtime of incompetence. I just saw a thread complaining about commercials during HDNet's baseball games. Isn't HDNet free? Us Dish users would love to have HDNet. And someone is complaining about commercials when they're getting a free HD service that most are raving about?

Is this a world gone nuts? Is there no perspective. Am I missing something very obvious here? Some have accused me of being negative. Compared to what I've seen in just the last few days, I'm a regular Polyanna. This is getting to be just like the newsgroups where one expects constant complaining, flaming, and childish behavior.

BTW, Mr. Wigggles, wasn't it you complaining about lost quality/resolution with 2.35 movies. Dr. T was on Showtime. It's a 2.35 movie filmed in Panavision. I assume it was shown as 2.35. You proclaimed the PQ was stunning. Would you have preferred to see it as 1.85 for the improved PQ you feel you get when the 16:9 screen is filled? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Sure there were holes in the plot large enough to drive a cadillac through, but it is a comedy and one head and shoulders above the average Adam Sandler or David Spade offering found regularly on HBO. Showtime gave us an HD transfer - presented in OAR - that I enjoyed and make no apologies for saying so either. I'm a Robert Altman fan, too. As for math skills, if you polled most women they'd tell you Richard Gere gets high marks with them.

As a rule, I don't complain about what's presented in HD, despite the fact there's lots in which I have no interest. Instead, I watch what does appeal to me and I try to keep in mind that program providers are seeking to reach a broad audience of all ages and interests. There is a movie review forum, but it's not part of the HDTV section.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moderator,

Oh, please beam me to the movie review section.

The direction was fine but totally wasted on a silly movie. How often did they fight in the waiting room over Dr. T. How ridiculous was Shelly Long's character, Helen Hunt's character seamed way too casual about having multiple partners (with no apologias), the lesbian twist was predictable (one look at the dorky husband-to-be made it obvious), and the ending was so far out in left field which gave us our first HD presentation of child birth (its almost like they had this stock footage laying around that the felt had to go into the movie)

And I stand by my statement that it was a waste of HD. Since most programs aren't in HD on Showtime it was a shame that this was and that is why I thought this thread should be in this section.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. Jerry, you simply don't get my other posts and you are very upset about it. Did this movie need to be 2.35:1 or 1.77:1? It wouldn't have made a difference much one way or another.

Pps. Art, I have commented a few times how much I like the SW2 on this forum. I consider myself balanced.

Ppps. Brian, I guess I wish more of the off-the-beaten path movies were transferred to HD rather than this one. That was my point I'm sorry if it was lost.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
MrWigggles:

Ps. Jerry, you simply don't get my other posts and you are very upset about it. Did this movie need to be 2.35:1 or 1.77:1? It wouldn't have made a difference much one way or another.

I'm not upset at all. I "get" your other posts. I just don't agree. You and I simply have very different, and largely diametric, views on just about everything related to HDTV and how this section of the forum should be used, and how those views affect the future of HDTV and this forum. Perhaps your "Usurper of Truth" is particularly telling?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
And with that, this topic is closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.