AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ESPN have no respect for drag racing fans they change times when ever they want. Must of the time their late on schedule.Don't set up your DVR or VCR spec ting to record your program on time. It"s a shame this been happening for so many years. This never happen on Nascar. Did NHRA there (ESPN) for the money or for there fans?

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Did NHRA there (ESPN) for the money or for there fans?

Actually, from what I've heard, NHRA pays ESPN to air the coverage. Yes drag racing get treated as a second class motorsport by espn and that sucks for all us drag racing fans, but unfortunately drag racing is no where near as popular as Nascar and thus doesn't attract the viewers. Partly that's the fault of the NHRA as they could do a better job at promoting the sport and attracting newer fans. Also, watching a TF or NFC go down the track isn't quite the same on TV as actually being there. Even HD and 5.1 surround sound still can't quite convey the experience of 8000+ earth shaking horsepower thundering by at speeds in excess of 300mph.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 /forum/post/17013101

Compared to what ESPN does with their NASCAR coverage, their drag racing coverage of the events is quite good.

Nascar air on Fox,Espn,Tnt ect. Drag racing coverage is Espn exclusive; I,m

not asking for more or better coverage, asking just them to be on time with the schedule. Don't cut the program short or show it later because the soccer game went over time or basketball went over time. For me is unrespectful what they do, some time they change time even without advise. Hope Speed Channel jump on this wagon soon.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Hope Speed Channel jump on this wagon soon.

Let's hope not, because if they do you'll have to wait 2 or 3 months to see an event that's already been run. Then you'll get a condensed 1 hour of coverage. Speed already covers the IHRA and this is the way they handle it. I doubt they'd cover NHRA much differently.

I understand a lot of the complaints drag race fans have with regard to the ESPN coverage, but all things considered they really don't do such a bad job. One of the issues is the nature of drag racing isn't conducive to live coverage. Therefore we have to settle for same day coverage. This presents some challenge to the production team as they must tape, edit and feed the broadcast back to the network in time for the broadcast to air on time. Throw in the possibility of unexpected delays like crashes, oil downs, track cleanup and weather delays, and you can see how this can become a challenge. Anyway, it's better than no coverage at all and it's better than the way Speed handles IHRA coverage.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnails /forum/post/17014097

Nascar air on Fox,Espn,Tnt ect. Drag racing coverage is Espn exclusive; I,m

not asking for more or better coverage, asking just them to be on time with the schedule. Don't cut the program short or show it later because the soccer game went over time or basketball went over time. For me is unrespectful what they do, some time they change time even without advise. Hope Speed Channel jump on this wagon soon.

Cutting the program short would suck if I was a fan. I don't know why they can't show that in it's entirety as well, then cut short something else like a poker show or whatever it is they show after midnight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts