AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2 require to connect to EA servers to authenicate the DLC.

Currently, EA servers seem to be down. When I started DA:O, it gave error not able to connect to Dragon Age servers and the game gets stuck at the main menu screen without any way to select anything.

If my X360 is disconnected from Live, then the DA:O DLC shows as corrupted and the saved game refused to load.

This is when EA/Bioware DRM becomes a serious problem because it causes single player games like Dragon Age: Origin not letting the game player the game if EA servers are down.

EA/Bioware makes such a big deal of the bonus DLC included with the games and this is how they reward gamers by refusing to let them play the single player games when EA servers are down?

Update: I search Bioware forum and back in mid January, other gamers are also complaining when the EA servers were down, they weren't allowed to play DA:O.

Since DLC is the main problem here because of the DRM, I'll probably buy EA/Bioware or any of their games with this kind of DRM pre-owned copy because then there is no bonus DLC (unless I choose to buy them and have the same problem) and I'll be able to play the game when EA servers randomly go down.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Yeah, I just found out about this the other day reading the ME2 thread. I can see connecting to EA for a Cerberus download, but it's ridiculous that you can't play if you're offline. Even if it just needed Live it would still be too much - the only reason a game should *need* to connect is for online multiplayer.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
So, unlike other games that just lose multiplayer when the non-LIVE servers are 'retired', I won't be able to play DA:O ever again once EA decides to shut down the servers?

This bodes badly for any further EA game purchases unless they come up with an end-of-life solution and stick words to that effect on packaging...

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had this same issue earlier today. I thought maybe it was trying to download a patch or something and was just stuck, but after a power cycle the same problem was still there.

I have not tried it again, but looking at the Bioware forums it looks like a known issue.

It happens frequently enough that I will probably take this into serious consideration before buying future EA/Bioware games.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EA/Bioware made such a big deal of buying their games new because they rewarded us with the bonus DLC and then refusing to let us play the games when their servers go down.

In the future, I will make extra effort of buying EA/Bioware games with this kind of DRM control PRE-OWNED cheaper and not buy the DLC. I may miss out some of the DLC side quests but at least I wouldn't have to deal with the EA servers being down and not able to continue playing the games.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 /forum/post/18146800

Does this happen if there is no network connection? Meaning, if I unplug the network cable out of the back, will it load up?

Then, all the DLC will show as corrupted and the saved game refused to load.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is useful info for those who have multiple X360 consoles.

On the first X360 console that downloaded the DLC, the console doesn't need to be connected to Live/EA server to be able to load the saved game because the DLC already has the DRM key that is locked to the console.

Only the second X360 console or later will require to be connected to EA servers for the DLC to work and load the saved game.

I play my games on different X360 consoles and when EA servers are down, the only way to load the saved games is play on the 1st X360 console that originally downloaded the DLC.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/18146886

This is useful info for those who have multiple X360 consoles.

On the first X360 console that downloaded the DLC, the console doesn't need to be connected to Live/EA server to be able to load the saved game because the DLC already has the DRM key that is locked to the console.

Only the second X360 console or later will require to be connected to EA servers for the DLC to work and load the saved game.

I play my games on different X360 consoles and when EA servers are down, the only way to load the saved games is play on the 1st X360 console that originally downloaded the DLC.

Okay, so this is similar to Live Arcade games functionality. Still a PIA, but not as bad as I originally thought.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Man I think I'm just going to go back to my SNES.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow /forum/post/18147113

Okay, so this is similar to Live Arcade games functionality. Still a PIA, but not as bad as I originally thought.

DLC Aracade games are DRM locked to Live but with games like DA:O, it's double DRM locked, Live and EA servers. With EA servers down, able to connect to Live is not enough for EA.

My concern is more future games will have contents stripped out to be included as bonus DLC for buying the games new. While game publishers do this to discourage gamers buying pre-owned games, those who bought new games get the DLC locked to the DRM and couldn't play the games if the game publishers servers are down.

What happened to the good old days when all the game contents including the expansion packs are on the discs and connecting to the game server was only to play online? Today, the DRM heavily controls when we can play the games. While this isn't something every gamer will think about when buying today's games, they only see it when the DRM prevents them from playing the games.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
So let me get this straight. If you download dlc to your game, even the free bonus stuff you received for pre-ordering, and the EA server goes down. You can't play your game?

Wow, if this is true, then how does this encourage new game sales and discourage used game sales?

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel /forum/post/18147959

So let me get this straight. If you download dlc to your game, even the free bonus stuff you received for pre-ordering, and the EA server goes down. You can't play your game?

Wow, if this is true, then how does this encourage new game sales and discourage used game sales?

Well, you've made it through the first half of the posts....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Well, at least no one who pirated their copy is having troubles tonight. DRM shows it's true colors yet again.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.