AVS Forum banner

Dragonheart & Frighteners shipped!

3K views 38 replies 29 participants last post by  jwv651 
#1 ·
I will have these tomorrow. Fingers crossed with Dragonheart.

Every broadcast ( one in HD ) and DVD was a soft blurry mess. Im hoping for the best but I feel Im rolling the dice on this one. Its an old movie so the transfer will ether surprise or flunk!

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic /forum/post/0

I'm hoping they both have all the extras of the DVDs which were all ported from the signature LD box sets.

Ditto. I've been hoping for at least a scan of the back cover of each to confirm, but no one seems to have it yet.

Both of these have *fantastic* extras that I hope are carried over. The length of The Frighteners documentary may pose a problem, but since it is standard def, I hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles37 /forum/post/0

I really want to hear the reviews for Dragonheart considering the DTS laserdisc I own has a really great boisterous aggressive audio mix.

Dragonheart is one of the best sounding films I've ever seen(/heard). There are tons of "demo" moments in it. I have high hopes for this disc.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema /forum/post/0

Please let us know if The Frighteners will contain the 3-hour documentary. I have a feeling Universal will put it on there.

They could easily use the combo process to put it on the back like they did with the DVD.

It's a short enough film they might be able to get away with it on the same side though. Enter the Dragon had about 3 hours of 480i content.

#10 ·
Very interested in PQ and Extras for both of these, especially The Frighteners - update us ASAP please!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles37 /forum/post/0

I really want to hear the reviews for Dragonheart considering the DTS laserdisc I own has a really great boisterous aggressive audio mix.

Yeah, I agree about the DTS laser. I wore that thing out, then snapped up the early DTS DVD, which in my view is still the DVD to beat in terms of audio.

That came before the half-rate DTS bitrate (768Kbps) became the norm, and was encoded at the max rate (1.5mbps). It's simply stellar.

Please update us on the HD-DVD ASAP, Alan

#14 ·

Quote:
It's a short enough film they might be able to get away with it on the same side though. Enter the Dragon had about 3 hours of 480i content.

The supplements on the Director's Cut DVD, just over 4 hours of 480i video, used a bit over 8 gigs. Uni could simply port over the same DLT master they used for the DVD and that would still give them over 21 GB for the 123 minute feature with audio. Based on current VC-1 efficiencies, I'd not only say possible, but likely this will be a single HD-30.

BTW, the supplements listed for the HD DVD are also what is listed on the special edition DVD.

#17 ·
Dragonheart was my very first DVD copy in DTS....you know at this time, you were proud owning a dvd which cover art with DTS logo on it

I am always impressed by the scene when the dragon opens his chest to let you see his heart pulping...with your sub, that goes deep...

mine also has been shipped!

#22 ·
Thanks for the pictures. I'm excited to listen to the Peter Jackson commentary. It's also nice to see Universal labeling the video encoded in VC-1. Do these discs include the newer menu system with the Clips feature? I believe Universal is moving to make it standard.

#23 ·
I do not have time to screen these until the weekend but I did put both on and i scanned through the chapters with no audio.

Both are winners. The Frighteners looks great. Nice sharp image. Only saw the slightest EE in a few bright outdoor scenes other then that it looked great

I was really impressed with Dragonheart because I was not expecting much. Its great. A few soft scenes in the faces but the rest is dead on. Solid sharp and clean.

Both are winners in my book and I am picky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.