AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished flipping through Universal's new discs and have to give DRAGONHEART huge kudos. The colors are stunning, the detail of the effects enhanced by HD...the movie is one of those "I liked it, but wanted to like it more" deals, but I think Universal really nailed the transfer on this one. At least as far as video is concerned, the movie is more watchable now as a result.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Fantastic news -- thanks!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic /forum/post/0

Glad to hear it! Yes this film is certainly cheeseball, but it's fun.

We fans of Fantasy movies don't have much selection, so watchable is good enough for me!!!

·
Banned
1,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/0

Just finished flipping through Universal's new discs and have to give DRAGONHEART huge kudos. The colors are stunning, the detail of the effects enhanced by HD...the movie is one of those "I liked it, but wanted to like it more" deals, but I think Universal really nailed the transfer on this one. At least as far as video is concerned, the movie is more watchable now as a result.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

I wasn't buying this movie untl someone writes a review.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow I seriously thought the disc looked quite soft and dull. We watched it last night and I really expected better. It's by no means terrible, but considering the film isn't that old, I would assume the source print wasn't in the best of shape.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesker /forum/post/0

Wow I seriously thought the disc looked quite soft and dull. We watched it last night and I really expected better. It's by no means terrible, but considering the film isn't that old, I would assume the source print wasn't in the best of shape.

Yeah I didn't get that at all. The movie looks kind of "drab" because of the cinematography at times, but in terms of HD crispness I thought it was easily preferrable to THE FRIGHTENERS and portions of it looked simply fabulous.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I thought it looked fantastic. It's over ten years old and you really couldn't tell. Draco looked incredible and I didn't notice much grain. The colors did pop. I agree it looked great, wouldn't say five stars, but would say great.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggytx /forum/post/0

I thought it looked fantastic. It's over ten years old and you really couldn't tell. Draco looked incredible and I didn't notice much grain. The colors did pop. I agree it looked great, wouldn't say five stars, but would say great.

I remember seeing the film in theaters and, at least for me, not even there were the colors as strong as they are on the HD-DVD. Maybe I wasn't expecting as much having seen the laserdisc and the movie on TV over the years (where it looked very unimpressive), but I agree with you that Universal did a fine job here.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Now.....if only we could get DRAGONSLAYER......! Now THAT would be cool...

·
Registered
708 Posts
I got my copy yesterday.

Haven't had time to pop it in and see what the results were.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Received my copy yesterday as well. Watched about half the film and I completely agree with the comments above. Colors are stunning, the cgi effects look just as good as they did 10 years ago and the transfer has definitely been remastered (perhaps a new DVD release is around the corner?). The audio was quite good as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LpChaos /forum/post/0

Received my copy yesterday as well. Watched about half the film and I completely agree with the comments above. Colors are stunning, the cgi effects look just as good as they did 10 years ago and the transfer has definitely been remastered (perhaps a new DVD release is around the corner?). The audio was quite good as well.

as good as the DTS soundmix on the OOP 'DTS' laserdisc ??

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesker /forum/post/0

I also thought it was soft and on the dull side. There were some scenes with the dragon that had detail but for example, facial details on medium shots were very lacking.

Not terrible, but nothing exciting. Overall I expected more and was disapointed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts