AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... looking to finally imploy some draperies and rails for the back of my HT. The primary interest is light control durring bright day times (keep em out of the HT). Sound absorbtion is secondary and not actually an issue at present, although still a welcoming bonus.

The back of the present HT currently extends to a dinning area with an opening of approx. 10'w x 8'h. This is where I'd like to implement the main sliding drapery doubling as a partition seperating the HT and dining room. In addition there is another opening to the left rear corner of the HT (~ 3.5'w x 10.5'w) that I would also like to drape off.

Any suggestions as to what type, fabrice and general setup?

Would also appreciate recommending an inexpensive place either in southern california or on the internet for the supplies.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
THX,

I bought a shiny deep purple colored material at Wal-Mart for $1 per yard (at approx 58" wide) then installed it by:

1. Started at one end of the room and stapled in the upper corner.

2. Folded the material over my finger then stapeled to form pleates.

3. Continued all the way down the wall this way along the top.

4. Repeated the pleating along the bottom (at mid-wall).

5. Covered all of the staples at the top with wood trim.

6. Covered the staples at mid-wall with chair rail molding.

The effect of this is pleated drapes from the top of the wall to mid-wall with just a painted wall underneath. This is quick, easy, and cheap but most people think it cost $1000's in custom drape costs. Whole project for both side walls and all of the trim was less than $50. I was flexible on the material so I just looked at the clearance table at several Wal-Marts until I found something that would match the color scheme.

The effect on sound was fantastic!!!!

Will post a picture later.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Either do them as an attachment, or if you post them to a website, you can then use the "insert picture" feature. If doing as an attachment, simply browse to the location on your hard drive. I have been anxious to see your finished look since I read your initial post!

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK, my wife says I am giving away our drape secret.

Who cares what wives think!

This is a picture of the front of the room. We bought the drapes extra long so that we could hang over some extra cloth on either side of the screen to make it look like the drapes could close - obviously they do not close to conceal the screen but we don't tell our guests!

We bought extra cloth for the rear also to wrap around some custom speaker shelves - looks great. Can post more pics if anyone is interested.

People think we have a Taj Mahal caliber theater, but it is just a low cost Wal-Mart and Home Depot job.

taj

·
Registered
151 Posts
Those drapes look great. Now you got me thinking about doing something like that. It really gives the theater a more authentic feel and you can be lazy with running your speaker wire and other wires as you can just hide them behind the fabric. The only thing that I would worry about is the heat that the sconces would produce with the fabric being so close....Is that something that I should not worry about......They look great and I may just steal your idea.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cory,

The sconces I used are prety well insulated from the wall and use a low wattage light.

The bulb is surrounded by ceramic. Use your own judgement - I would not want to lead someone into a hazard.

It took longer to figure out how to attach pictures than it did to hang the fabric.

Good luck

taj

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.