Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I'm looking at installing something like a 104" - 110" screen on a wall which is 10.5' across and only about 8' high. The room is only 10.5 x 14.5, with windows facing west on the opposite side of the screen wall. There's also a large entryway (without a door) to the south which adjoins a room that has southside bay windows on the far end of the house. Thus, the rooms during the day would get considerable ambient light even with blinds drawn.

So, I'm thinking that light-blocking drapes over each of the two windows and the main entrance would be a good idea. For aesthetics (and as a protective measure against inquisitive kitty paws) I'd like to install cord-driven pull drapes over the screen as well (possibly automated by remote?). And I have this cheesy-crazy idea that the drapes ought to be crushed velvet to get that 'old-time' cinema feel. So, questions:

a) recommendations on pull-cord drape frames? Home Depot doesn't list anything useful on their web site.

b) How much room on each side of the screen should I leave for the drapes? Assuming that I get cord-pull drapes that split in half I'll want to make certain that the drapes don't cover up the left and right screen frame. If I go with a 110" screen I'll only have about 13" play on each side of the wall.... (another option might be pulling a single sheet of velvet up to the top of the screen like blinds - though I don't know if it's possible to buy such a large sheet).

c) I assume think fabric like crushed velvet ought to be good for blocking ambient daylight. Right?

d) Is this in bad taste? I mean *really*!!! And should they be blue or red crushed velvet? :p

Being a guy I've never actually purchased curtains or drapes! I have no idea what I'm doing here. Heh. Finally: planning an HS20 purchase once that site over the pacific pond starts taking preorders.

Thanks a bunch for any insight and suggestions!

--Maynard

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I've never posted a poll before and thought it would wind up to the side of the original post. Moderators, could you please remove the poll so people can read the text when they click on the subject line? Sorry about any confusion.

EDIT: Now I see that the text does show below the poll questions. OK. Whatever. Moderators: do whatever you feel is appropriate. Thanks! --M

·
Registered
928 Posts
Leave the poll.

I have Dark Red and I think it's the perfect HT choice, style wise right in-line with some theaters. Black is just to dark and no style(even though it may be the purest choice). Blue and Green just don't cut it color wise, Dark Burgundy is the only choice here and any others here who say different, are trying to hurt you. Run Forest, Run

david

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just put up:

Room darkening shade (white)

Room darkening miniblinds (white)

and Light Brown Cotton Velvet Curtains from Target (they were on sale).

During the day with the door closed the room is about 98% black!

I was stuck with those colors so the room would still look normal and not upset the wife.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Simple blackout blinds do an amazing job of reducing ambient light. Our HT room is a general purpose room about 18 x 30 feet with four large windows covering most of the wall down the one side. We had normal horizontal venetian blinds when we first set up the projector and I was surprized how bright the room was during the day with the blinds closed. Just recently, we replaced the blinds with similar looking, high opacity pleated blackout blinds. If you've never seen them, they're like two accordian layers with the string to raise and lower in between the two layers. The inside layer is like a normal blind fabric (for fashion) and the outer layer blocks the light. The outer layer also does a very good job of blocking heat from either side. Incidently, you need two separate layers to do this otherwise there are holes for the strings that let the light in.

I thought I'd have to build or buy channels for the blinds to block the light spillage from the sides but for our type of window construction, the light from that source is just not significant - nor is the light from the rest of the house. Our blinds are Levolor, but all the blind companies make something similar I think. Highly recommended for your windows.

Bob

·
Registered
726 Posts
b) Typical stack-back for drapes is 1/3 the width; 55/3=18 inches.

c) You'll still want a backing on the velvet; "black-out" cloth.

I put up dark burgundy velvet drapes to cover a wall that had a lot of windows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.