AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of upgrading my amplifier, and I've decided upon the Theta Dreadnaught. I can pickup a used Dreadnaught I for about $1500 less than a brand new Dreadnaught II from a dealer.

Are the improvements in the DII significantly better than the D1 to justify the price difference? I'll be going with a 7 channel configuration, so the 2x100 stereo modules are the same in the DI & DII. The three mono modules are the upgraded ones for the DII.

I'll be matchining the amp with a Lexicon MC12B and Aerial speakers.

-Kevin

·
Premium Member
7,241 Posts
Hi Kevin,

I has a DI and have not heard the D2 so cant speak to the comparison, but my understanding (which may not be accurate) is that a DI can be fitted with D2 amp modules to be, in effect, a D2. I'd check directly with Theta to confirm this, but if true, then you could buy the DI with a minimal amount of amp channels (enough to satisfy the dealer, I guess), and purchase D2 channels instead...unless you're talking about a price difference of a loaded D2 vs. a loaded and used DI. Rambling now, sorry!

TM

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The $1500 price differential I mentioned was for a full loaded 7 channel D1 vs D2.

I'm leaning towards the D2 now, need to decide by Friday...

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I bought my D1 after the D2 came out and got a great deal. I really didn't notice a whole lot of difference between the two. I think the D2 had was a bit more forward or had slightly more impact, but it was extremely slight. I felt the D1 was a bit smoother to my liking. I'm only using the dreadnaught for my surrounds and center channel so I wasn't so critical about the minor differences.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the Theta Intrepid. I understand that it isn't as flexible as the D1 and D2 but it is quite a bit cheaper.

jeff

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Dreadnaught II is rather different from the Dreadnaught I. There is a new power supply with larger capacity. That allows the mono channels to easily deliver 225 watts at 8 ohms versus the 200 of the DI. Refinements to the audio circuitry of the DII are audible in the following ways; cleaner and more extended treble, better dynamics and better bass control. Theta was able to maintain the Dreadnaught I' strengths and build on them. The D I can be upgraded, but a full upgrade would include the power supply, not just the new amp boards.

The Intrepid is an amazing amp if you need a moderate amount of power, like most people really do. The 100 watt rating is very conservative, especially when compared to the over-optimistic ratings of the mass market companies. The basic circuit is from the Dreadnaught I and offers much of the same quality. It lacks the maximum impact and bass extention, but not much else.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
robert,

Is this from actually comparing the two? I understand TAS reviewed the DII and said it was better for movies but inferior for music. I did not read the review so I don't know the specifics, but the reviewer compared the two amplifiers directly (the D1 was his reference amp).

·
Registered
636 Posts
Kevin,

Go for D2. Power reserve is essential for HT Application and D2 is an improved version of D1.

TAS Reviewer said he preferred D1 over D2 for 2 Ch, over perceived personal preferences (D1 had more air etc)...it may not be your preference. I personally felt D2 was more truer to source than D1.

If you want to save $$, get D2 with 3 Ch, and D1 modules for rest :)

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
First of all you are getting a hell of a deal on the new one if that is the only difference in price, but the 2nd one has a smoother sound, and is also cleaner. If you can't hear it, then maybe not worth to you, but would be to me.

You can't go wrong with either one, and the 25 watts isn't why you buy it, but the sound quality. I didn't choose the Theta for amps, but I did own the Casa 2 till last week,and really liked it. I felt the 1st addition was a little on the grainy side, where the 2nd one was not. The first was out when i bought amps and had the 2nd been there at that time, I may have bought that one. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RoberttheBruce
The Dreadnaught II is rather different from the Dreadnaught I. There is a new power supply with larger capacity. That allows the mono channels to easily deliver 225 watts at 8 ohms versus the 200 of the DI. Refinements to the audio circuitry of the DII are audible in the following ways; cleaner and more extended treble, better dynamics and better bass control. Theta was able to maintain the Dreadnaught I' strengths and build on them. The D I can be upgraded, but a full upgrade would include the power supply, not just the new amp boards.

The Intrepid is an amazing amp if you need a moderate amount of power, like most people really do. The 100 watt rating is very conservative, especially when compared to the over-optimistic ratings of the mass market companies. The basic circuit is from the Dreadnaught I and offers much of the same quality. It lacks the maximum impact and bass extention, but not much else.
I agree it is conservative and the 2 is a nice amp where the 1 was not in the class of it's price in my mind, but when you go 100 wpc whether it be Theta or say the Krell or even the old proceed BPA, I alway felt that while I don't use all the power, it is the lack of headroom in them being that you are running them for movies all channels driven and pretty far up, that it isn't the same as having all the extra left over. I also hear when it is low like it isn't as full and have always found that wtih the larger amps that isn't typically the case. I am saying nothing against the Theta specifically but more in all the lower powered amps and the do we really use all the power versus just having it on standby and running the amp at 8 percent instead of 55 percent. It is like the Mercedes where they put way more engine then you need, but don't pull all the horse out of it, and that is why they run great at 200,000 miles and never seem to break down engine wise. I guess it is 2 schools but that was the call I made, and I went 250 by 3 upfront and 120 by 2 in the back, which works great unless you multi channel music, which I don't and won't. That is what is great about that Theta in that you can go 3 x 225 up front and 4 by 100 in the back if you want in the same box. That was a smart setup. All that said, I really like their mono blocks, but when you price them out, they are pretty high for a game they just go into.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've decided to go with the new Dreadnaught II. Just sent in my payment for the amp this morning. Build time should take around 10 days. Can't wait to plug that new bad boy in!

PS: I'll be placing my 5 month old Classe CAV-180 up on Audiogon soon...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.