AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya Hoo!! The dealer called and said the HS10 has arrived and a friend of mine will be bringing it home for me tomorrow!

Now for the mathamagician part.

I've been thinking that if I use a highpower screen and want to ceiling mount the unit and be in the zone of highest gain how can I do that?

I plan to mount the pj in the next room at 20 feet from the screen. I plan to sit 17 feet from the screen. Now I think I could tilt the top of the screen slightly toward me which would put the screen more perpendicular to my line of sight while seated. This should allow me to lower the pj (to avoid keystoning) and put me closer to the "zone" of highest gain. As the pj will be behind a wall I can put it at any level. So with the above measurements and a screen that is 66" tall. How far forward can I tilt the screen (in inches from the wall) and how far will I lower the pj from the top of the screen (the location before tilting)?

I know someone out there can provide the right trig formula!!

Thanks in advance.........and let the show begin!!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
yo, I think I gots me something like that, Ill have to look through my old notes b/c I think I proved something like that in calc II

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the high-power screen gives optimal brightness from a table mount where as the HCMW or HCCV gives more brightness with a ceiling mount. Since you'll also get better blacks and contrast with one of the gray high contrast screens, that's the way I'd go for a ceiling mount.

As for mounting, just remember the top of the picture starts from the lens and goes down from there. I'd highly recommend getting the projector first and playing around with it until you get the image projecting on the wall exactly as you want it. Its way too easy to make mistakes on the screen size as it is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am considering the highpower because of the size of the screen - 133" diagonal. I don't know if the hs10 has enough power to shoot a gray screen of that size.

I am hoping that I could get the angle between me and the pj reduced for optimal brightness by tilting the screen just a bit.

Of course you are correct I will need to play with the pj to get the size correct. However, I don't think the size will change with the tilt.

I will be checking it out my friend just called and the pj is in his truck headed down I15!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Life is good - congrats! Actually I had larger than 133" on my dark gray wall before getting the screen, and it was plenty bright enough. Of course its much brighter with the 1.2 gain HCMW than the negative gain wall. Either screen is more than enough for a 133" screen on the HS10.

·
Registered
697 Posts
You'll probably need a ladder...or at least a barstool:D

Seriously, the half-gain point on a High Power screen seems to be about 12 degrees off the axis of projection. So the higher or further back you sit and the closer you mount your projector to your eye level, the better. Obviously, these ideal situations are hard to come by in a multifunctional room and maybe even undesireable in a dedicated room. I wouldn't worry too much about all the angles and such...I hear people are really enjoying their High Power screens.

In case you do like all the angles, here is a handy excel spreadsheet that will do all the math for you. I found it somewhere in these forums. Enjoy!

Viewing Angle Calculator

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the spreadsheet that gets me part of the way there.

Just finished hooking up the pj and throwing a little light show on the wall. This is going to be a lot of fun! Now I thought I had some of this pj stuff figured out from all the reading I've been doing. Well, from just the short little session I had with the pj I see I have a long ways to go! But I suspect it will be a fun trip.

Just figuring out full screen, wide screen, full, zoom, etc.... and matching the dvd to the right mode and so forth..YIKES!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.