AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I you could start from scratch, having no components for your HT except speakers, and wanted to build around an HTPC what would be your dream system? And how about a ballpark figure on what it would cost to put it all together? Note: my dream includes a projector that costs less than 10K but everything else is an unknown at this point. HT construction is nearly complete and need to start making some decisions after a trip to CES.

Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd start with a HTPC case from Atech

Add a new "Granite Bay" or nforce2 motherboard (depending on whether you want to go Intel or AMD).

Get a Holo3D scaler board, and ATI AIW for graphics. Either use on board sound (it's DD 6 channel on nforce2 MBs) or get a creative card.

Add a Matrix Orbital display, Griffin Powermate, and an IRMan for accessories... A hard drive (Seagate's Barracuda V is REALLY quiet) and you're done (mostly ;) ).

For a projector I'd still go with the Hitachi 5500 or possibly wait for JVC's release of the SX21 (but it's not out there yet, and it's more expensive).

You should be able to get this stuff together for under $10K.

-Dave

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"You should be able to get this stuff together for under $10K."

Dave,

10K or less for the projector not the whole setup. Thanks for your reply.

Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ummm, the Hitachi 5500 (an LCoS 1368x1024, 4x3 projector) costs around $5k, but although it's nearly an ideal projector, people have reported tearing issues with video via the DVI interface...

Look for a new Hitachi and the new JVC SX21 at CES, the JVC will be in the $9k-$10k range, and who knows what Hitachi will announce.

I'm a big fan of LCoS due to the high resolution, but Sony has at least one 1368x1024 LCD projector that's under $5k that people seem to like... I just don't know much about it. Generally speaking I'm not a fan of DLP, but that's an area where most people would disagree (many people seem to like the new HD2 based DLP projectors that are coming out now.)

The case will cost around $600 (depending on options), the Holo3D about $800, and everthing else is a www.pricewatch.com check...

-Dave

·
Registered
194 Posts
MGower,

I am currently building my first HTPC after researching this board since September. I have not put it together because I am waiting for the A-Tech case so I can't give you any first hand knowledge. Nevertheless, from all that I have learned I would grade my system an A, not an A+ or dream system. At each step/component I could have bought better or more but I certainly feel that I have gone with quality components. I know, and probably should have spent less money.

Also, I can't speak to a projection system since I went with a plasma screen.

My system is listed below. Some things that are not appearent are: the A-tech case will have an IRMan and a Matrix Orbital LCD. I have yet to buy a quiet heat sink and fans for my CPU and ATI 9500 pro because I am waiting to see how much room I'll have with the mother board inside the case. Plus, I want to see exactly how loud the HTPC is when I put into the rack. Also, I have not bought a sound card yet because I am going to experiment with SPDIF out from the mother board. I have run cat5e cable to my home office computer and installing a wireless 802.11b Linksys router. I have upgraded to round cables for airflow and cable management. I ordered the brushed aluminum feet from CRTcinemas to install on the A-tech case so it will match my Harmon Kardon AVR. When the Pronto TSU3000 comes out that will be my universal remote.

I know this sounds like a "look what I did" post, but that is exactly what it is. For me this this is my almost dream system.

Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input Scott.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.