Hey everyone! I built my house last year with a dedicated theater room that we left partially unfinished with the idea that I will take the time to properly design it to the specs I always dreamed about. I am now ready to move forward.
Following is the layout.
The room is 16'8" wide, 24'7" long and ceiling is 11' high in the middle with 1' deep x 2' wide box around the ceiling perimeter with recessed lights. I have a 6" high stage in the front and 1' high second row riser. I would like to install fiber optic star ceiling in the box inset. Height of the wall on the screen side is 9' 6".
Room is finished with double walls and insulation all around and it is prewired for 9.2.6 with location of the speakers as marked in the layout drawing above.
The walls are going to be covered with fabric panels with acoustic padding inside them. When finished, the theater is going to look like this below (this picture is for inspiration only, my color scheme is slightly different and my ceiling is boxed layout with star panels in the center instead of the coffered ceiling).
I already bought a 200" diagonal acoustically transparent curved screen with 1:2.35 aspect ratio. My goal is to have a full immersion imax theater kind of experience.
I am now at a point where I need to buy the electronics. This is where I need your help!
I am looking for a projector that can light up this massive 200" screen and have 9.2.6 Dolby Atmos sound to match it.
My thoughts so far:
- I want to get a native 4K laser projector with enough lumens to power the massive screen. Budget: less than $10K is ideal, i can stretch up to $15K.
- I read that I would need a min 5000 lumen lamp brightness, is that true? It is a dedicated room with no ambient light. Please give me your thoughts what is the ideal projector.
- Should I get a short throw 4K laser projector? Can it be ceiling mounted? Do you have any recommendation?
- Budget $10K for all 9+2+6 (is this enough?)
- In-wall speakers is my preference so that i can completely hide them behind the screen and into the columns and ceiling respectively (please see the layout picture above for speaker placement).
- I would like to get very good ones for the front speakers and decent ones for the rest. Please suggest the possibilities. I had Polk LS series speakers years ago and loved them.
- The Dolby setup guide is suggesting to put the speakers at an angle, is that necessary? How to angle an in-wall speaker or a ceiling mounted speaker?
: Emotiva XMC-2 16 Channel 9.1.6 Discrete Dolby Atmos & DTS:X Cinema Processor $3K
- This one supports 9.1.6 with the 1 being the subwoofer but I want to have 2 subwoofers. How to go about this?
: Emotiva XPA-DR3 Differential Reference™ Three-Channel Power Amplifier for front 3 speakers $2.1K
Emotiva XPA Gen3 Modular Amplifier with 8-6-1S configuration to power the rest of the speakers and atmos speakers with one stereo channel $2.1K
Any recommendations for star ceiling panels would be great as well.
Thank you so much in advance!!