AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Well I just picked up a VGA box for my Dreamcast and connected it via the VGA input on my X1 projector.

Absolutely amazing! I cannot believe how good this little 4+ year old system looks. I also have a PS2 but unfortunately, I am having to connect it to the composite input on my X1 due to the fact that I have my DVD player connected to the S-Video input via the component to S-Vid adaptor. Of course, it isn't a good comparison due to the inputs I'm using but man, the Dreamcast 480p looks a lot better than my PS2.

Anyway, I have found that I like using the presentation setting for the Dreamcast and I was wondering what you guys use for gaming. I prefer film mode (which turns off the white segment) for DVD watching but I think that presentation adds a bit more punch to gaming. I guess I was just curious what you guys with projectors use when you are playing games?

Also, what can I do to my PS2 to get a better image (knowing that now I'm using the VGA input for Dreamcast and I'm using the S-Vid / component input for DVD's)? The only other input available is the composite input and right now I just have the factory cable that came with the PS2, are there nicer composite cables that will make the picture look better (sharper). I'd say that sharpness is my biggest problem with it right now, through the composite connection it looks too soft. I have it focused in perfectly, I even have the sharpness setting set to sharpest but I'm still getting a very soft PS2 image. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yeah, Dreamcast in VGA rocks. I actually made a VGA connection for the GameCube too, and it rocks even more.

There is a component cable for the PS2. Do you have the component adapter for the X1? That will make a difference. If not, you can buy the s-video cable for the PS2 and that will also make a world of difference (almost as good as component cables, but you won't be able to get 480p out of it for the games that support that resolution - very few so no big deal).

As for the quality of the cables, when I compared Monster s-video cables ($$$$) vs the $10 version, I saw no difference whatsoever. I stuck with the cheaper ones, needless to say. That may not be entirely true for component cables, but that's a debate that will rage on until there are no longer cables on this planet.

But one thing is for sure, no quality of composite cable will be as good as an s-video cable.

The times I used the X1, I preferred it in presentation mode for gaming as well.

Shawn

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, thanks for the fast reply!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to come up with something better for the PS2 because with the way the Dreamcast looks compared to the PS2, I won't want to play the PS2 :)

The problem I am running into is that the X1 has 1 VGA input, 1 S-Video (Component) input, and 1 composite input. I purchased the Component to S-Vid adaptor from Infocus but that is what I am using for my DVD player. I am using the VGA input for my Dreamcast so that leaves only the composite input. Do they make a component switch box so that I can connect two devices (PS2 and DVD player) to the one component input on the projector? If so, then that will probably be the best route for me to take. Your thoughts?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
The Dreamcast looks just amazing with VGA. Shame there is no inexpensive true VGA for the newer consoles.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnPeters
I actually made a VGA connection for the GameCube too, and it rocks even more.

Shawn
Shawn, how did you do this? I would love to make one (I have some EE knowledge) could you post or PM me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
pinkeye,

They make component and s-video switchers, so you're in luck. You can get them starting at about $30 and up, depending on the quality. You can also use a composite video/audio switcher (red/white/yellow) for your component video. Again, there is much debate as to the quality of switchers, and some people will pay hundreds, even thousands of dollars for them. I bought my s-video switcher at Radio Shack for $30 and have seen no signal degradation when i use it, so that might be a good starting point.

Good luck,

Shawn

pigbat, ditto on the Dreamcast

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mike,

Here's the link for the GC VGA mod:
http://gamemod.bakaneko.com/cubevgamod.pdf

I was sort of lucky because I needed RGHV BNC input into my projector, so I didn't need to make a 15-pin connection. I just used RCA to BNC adapters and an an extra RCA output (I combined the H and V sync into one).

Just beware that you might fry your cable - that's a risk. But I was pretty rough with mine and all went OK.

Shawn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.