AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys own a dreamcast hooked up to a samsung dlp. i have a 61" dlp and was wondering what is the best way to hook it up, VGA or S-Video. Also does it show up stretch in widescreen or stays in 4:3.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Definitely VGA, which looks significantly better than s-video. To be honest, I didn't think s-video looked noticeably better than composite on my DLP.

You've got a couple of options in dealing with the widescreen. I just use Wide mode, which stretches the picture to almost fill the screen (it leaves small black bards on the sides). You can also use normal mode and switch on wide mode in the games themselves (which is usually a 16:9 mode). However, not all games have 16:9 and it's a bit of a pain to use on those that do so I just use the TV's wide mode.

Of course, you could leave the games and the TV in 4:3 mode.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
You know what???? I forgot all about my Dreamcast and VGA box. I also have the Sammy. Never thought of connecting it to that. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I just hooked up my dreamcast to my Hitachi with the AA VGA to component transcoder the other day. Played a little MGS for bleemcast. very good game. Played a little HOTD2 as well. Dreamcast was a good system. Its a shame it didn't get the 3rd party (EA) support.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It is a very good system. Did even less well over here.

Shame, considering it was up against the PS1 to start

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Hmmmm< i just hooked up the Dreamcast and the VGA connector (I have the official Dreamcast one) And I'm getting some annoying vertical banding, equally spaced lines about 1/2 inch between each one. I'm going to check the connections, but I won't want to play it like that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do any of you guys know where i can get an official dreamcast vga adapter? I really want one now!!!:D :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm using a Dreamcast hooked up to my Sammy DLP and it looks and works fantastic through the VGA connection. I'm using the cheap Blaze VGA adapter and it actually looks better through this than a more expensive $50 one that I had purchased at one time.

TV Wide mode works best IMO. Also, you need to play with the "coarse" setting on the PC input to get rid of the vertical banding. The DLP manual actually explains this fairly well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ya I got the performance box too, it's nifty.

Main thing that killed off the dreamcast was all the hype from the PS2. Sega was predicting their best sales in 2000-2001, and Sony just smashed that with all they're hyping. That's business.

Also Sega has never been very good with money.

Also NEC screwed Sega by jacking up the price of a chip on the DC.

It was pretty much a gangbang deal.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
I just checked, I actually do have the performance brand.

AS for the coarse setting, I played with that a bit and it made the bands wider and narrower. I can't say it totally got rid of them but they did get better.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I am using the treamcast vga adapter, it wokrs very well as well, but it does not act as a switch. You can only have 1 device hooked up to the monitor at a time. I bought an $8 switch off ebay and it took care of this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.