AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last weekend I decided to give some of the emulators for the Dreamcast a try. I tried out the NES, Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 emulators. All of these run great and as an added bonus . . . two of the three support VGA mode on the Dreamcast (the Atari 2600 emulator doesn't).

Now here is the problem . . .

For the Atari 7800 emulator I put all the 7800 games ever created on the CD (I own most of them already). Not a big deal as there are only about 70 or so games.

For the NES emulator I put all of the Nintendo developed games on the CD since i own all of these games. It will make it easy to move my NES out of the entertainment center.

Now for the Atari 2600 emulator I am having a problem. I could put every game created for the 2600 on the CD. This would be 2000 plus games. This makes it very hard to navigate the game directory from the game controller, so I was thinking about only adding 100 or so games. I am not all that familiar with the Atari 2600 games, so I am interested in any input you might have in regards to the games to include on the disc.

What 2600 games are worth including?

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
So, when you pop in the disc are all NES games on the disc or is there a separate boot disc you use first and then pop in the emulator disc? Also, which NES games are on the disc? I'm really interested in this if it works well :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dschroll
So, when you pop in the disc are all NES games on the disc or is there a separate boot disc you use first and then pop in the emulator disc? Also, which NES games are on the disc? I'm really interested in this if it works well :)
It is all on one disc. Just pop in the disc, power on the system and play.

It works great!!

I put only Nintendo developed game on the disc. I based it on this list.

http://www.planetnintendo.com/nindb/nes/us-nes.shtml

I have tried all the games in the emulator and Mach Rider is the only one that seems to have a problem in the emulator (graphic glitches).

Also . . . for some reason . . . I can only find the Japanese ROM for Baseball. No big deal though, most of it is in English anyway.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
For starters, spend some time over at www.atariage.com . You'll find info on every game ever and links to reviews on each.
Thanks.

This looks like a great site. I'll be spending some time checking out all they have to offer.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a note.

Instead of taking on the Atari 2600, I decided to take on a Nintendo NES emulation and game collection.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Xbox is a good bit better at all this.. i've moved my complete snes/nes/atari/pcengine, hell, even some of the arcade pcb's I have onto it. Using one of my DIY joysticks with a xbox adapter, got converted SNES and NES pads.. it's all just like the real thing.

Now if only I remembered to put a coin slot on the arcade stick for when my friends want to play :/

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyphatic
Xbox is a good bit better at all this.. i've moved my complete snes/nes/atari/pcengine, hell, even some of the arcade pcb's I have onto it. Using one of my DIY joysticks with a xbox adapter, got converted SNES and NES pads.. it's all just like the real thing.

Now if only I remembered to put a coin slot on the arcade stick for when my friends want to play :/
If I ever get an XBox I will certainly be using it for emulators. It makes it so much easier for playing retro games. You don't have to have everything hooked up to play.

The NesterDC emulator is one of the best emulators I have ever seen. I think it is even better then the NES emulators for the PC. I love it.

Unfortunately, there is not a full speed emulator for SNES available on the

Dreamcast. I guess I need an XBox for that . . . :)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Actually a lot of the retro emulators on Xbox support 1080i/720p. I just finished setting up my new SNES version last night. Of course, it's like high quality jaggies due to low resolution programming but it's a nice touch.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisFB
Actually a lot of the retro emulators on Xbox support 1080i/720p. I just finished setting up my new SNES version last night. Of course, it's like high quality jaggies due to low resolution programming but it's a nice touch.
That is very cool!! More reasons to get a XBox I guess.

I have been very obsessed for the last couple of days on collecting and compiling a list of all the Nintendo developed games on the NES. It is quite a task as they released games on the NES, Famicom and Famicom Disc System. I believe that I have found them all. Now I am working on collecting translation patches for the Japanese only games . . . like EarthBound Zero and a few others.

There are some real oddities. There was a version of Super Mario Bros. that was only released as a promo for a radio station in Japan. Something like 2000 copies were given away. The graphics were changed in the game to include radio station related items and likenesses.

LINK for info

At some time in the near future I am going to do a write up on what I have found on Straight Forward Play , so if you are interested . . . keep an eye out.

·
512 Posts
oooh, that'd be my goal; getting all my stuff on my xbox! wow, being able to load them up from the hdd would be sa-weet! damn, I hope they slash the prices on them so I can pick one up and mess around with it. As it is, I'd rather not tempt the fates by cracking open my only xbox just yet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.