AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I come home and decide to play a little DC before going to sleep.

To my dismay, nothing shows on my TV when turned on! I look down to my DC and the power light is on but flickering and the disc inside is not spinning!

This is the first time my DC has ever given me any type problem since the day I bought it! (9/9/99)

I haven't played my DC for a little over a month.

I have it in a very well ventilated place and have continually kept it clean and dust-free inside and out!

Has anybody had similar problems?

If so, what is wrong? (I no its not a power problem as all my other components fucntion properly)

I still love the DC and do not want to part with it!

Help please!

Thank You.

·
Registered
16,797 Posts
I have gone through many DC's since Launch day and it has always been the same things , either the drive motor or the laser . You can probably get a replacement lens unit but it would probably cost more than just picking up another used DC for $20.00 to $30.00 .

--- Best of Luck ,

--- Jason

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
sorry to hear. makes me think of getting a backup dreamcast just in case(so i can still play the original soul calibur)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have a problem solder joint on my DC's power supply board. It quit working a couple years ago, so I opened it up and saw this solder joint that looked like it bubbled over and was causing a short. I scraped the joint and track clean with a small screwdriver and it fixed it, but every 6-9 months I have to open it up and do it again. I have it setting out in the open, so ventilation isn't a problem, and it doesn't get dusty.

Then, a couple months ago, my friend's DC did the same thing, and it was the exact same problem! I easily fixed it for him.

When it starts going bad, the game will start to boot and then the screen will flicker and the console will reset. It starts out slow, then progresses to the point that no game will load.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
I have a problem solder joint on my DC's power supply board. It quit working a couple years ago, so I opened it up and saw this solder joint that looked like it bubbled over and was causing a short. I scraped the joint and track clean with a small screwdriver and it fixed it, but every 6-9 months I have to open it up and do it again. I have it setting out in the open, so ventilation isn't a problem, and it doesn't get dusty.
I have the exact same problem, except only that ONCE my DC failed to start. My unit is from the original batch, so most likely it is a manufacturing defect we are both experiencing.

If possible, could you please provide some instructions on how to do what you did and fix this?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Here's instructions for the repair I did. Of course, I'm posting this as a courtesy and can't be responsible if something bad happens while attempting it.

Start with it upside down. Remove the screws from the bottom of the DC. Then flip it right side up again. Lift the top cover off.

With the DC facing you, identify the power supply board on the left. It has the power cable socket attatched to it's back side. Unplug the white socket with 2 gray wires attatched to it from the farthest-away side of the board, near the power cable socket. Remove the 2 screws that hold the board in place. Then find the white plastic clip that is on the left edge of the board near the middle. Push the clip so that it no longer secures the board. The last thing holding the board in place is a row of pins that plug into the white socket that should be the closest thing on the board to you. Carefully pull it up and loose. Lift out the board and flip it over.

Inspect the solder joints. I found one about 1/3 of the way to the front (2/3 away from the power cable socket) in the middle of the board that had bubbled over it's track and shorted out. I scraped the track with a small screwdriver and it started working again. From what I can tell from looking at the markings on the board, the trouble point was the track between D52 and D53. They are the only 2 solder joints in almost a square inch square, and they are fairly large.

If you see any sloppy looking solder joints, clean them up by very carefully scraping around them. Blow the dust away and reassemble the DC. It's not a difficult procedure.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.