AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post, so if not, pardon me :)

We know how great the Dreamcast looks with the VGA converter on a FP. What are the best games to show off the performance, both visually, audibly (5.1 sound), and fun to play. I've got a DC on the way with Crazy Taxi 2. Anything like Halo available for DC?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not stalking you Robert, really. :)

This past weekend, I hooked up my Dreamcast to my 75U via a VGA adapter. I fired up Soul Calibur, Sega Rally and Crazy Taxi. It's funny how I remember Soul Calibur looking soooo good at the time. Man, what a difference a couple years (and an Xbox) make. The DC still looks good, mind you, but really pales next to the Xbox @ 480p. DOA3 vs. Soul Calibur = no contest (in the visuals and audio department anyway). :)

Does the DC really support 5.1 audio?

Crazy Taxi is a blast to play and Resident Evil: Code Veronica is pretty and spooky. Though, I don't know of a DC title that comes close to Halo (Half-Life would have, but they canned that a while ago I believe).

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
- Sonic I and 2

- F355

- Hydro Thunder

·
Registered
599 Posts
Soul Calibur, definitely. Even if you don't like fighting games, it's a must-have.

Unreal Tournament is great fun when you have guests.

I've been playing Jet Grind Radio, lately. Very unusual (and fun) game. And it looks good, too. I saw the xbox version at BestBuy today, and while it looked great, I thought the spray-painting effect was overdone. It was like a sci-fi explosion, and while gorgeous, seemed completely out of step with the groove of the game.

And no, the DC doesn't have 5.1 sound. But if you have a 5.1 receiver with a lot of DSP modes, like a Yamaha HTR* or R*, you can get some nice sound. Unreal Tournament sounds great - I particularly like the way the bass kicks in when the announcer says "Killing Spree." If you've played the game, you know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Robert-

Here's what you'll be getting soon-

-Crazy Taxi 2

-Sonic Adventure 2

Evolution 1

-Hydro Thunder

Kiss Psycho Circus

Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2

You have three of the suggested games already! :)

SF

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks "Darren" ;)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HELP

Okay, I received my DC and temporarily hooked it up to my NEC multisync monitor using a DC VGA converter. Everything works great with the exception of the game HydroThunder. It pops up the message "The A/V cable you have connected is not supported". I had read that there was an issue with some CD-R games and the VGA converter, but nothing to indicate that a standard game would have problems.

Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I found this:

http://www.shinforce.com/dreamcast/V...patibility.htm

Which shows that Hydro Thunder is not compatible :(

Are there any work arounds....I saw some info about a DC-X disc that will load non-VGA compatible games, but it seemed more tailored for imports. Anybody know?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Hydro Thunder works without problems with the VGA box.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How so?

According to the link above, it is not compatible. I have it here, with the DC VGA Box, and it gives me the message that the box is not compatible? What brand of VGA box are you using, or are you using the VGA cable?

Grrr....I just tried another game, "Evolution". It says on the back, VGA cable compatible, but the link above shows VGA Box incompatible. It doesn't work either. So far, these games work:

Sonic 2

NBA 2k1

Kiss Psycho

Crazy Taxi 2

Phantasy Star

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have a Redant VGA box and Hydro Thunder just works.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the Naki, and it just doesn't :(

·
Registered
664 Posts
I will try it on a friends LT150/HTPC/MyHD combo soon. I have a MyHD card on the way and am putting together HT items now. I cannot wait to see how DC s-video scaled up through the MyHD card looks!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Let set the record straight coming from an expert gamer...Hydro Thunder doesn't OFICIALLY support the VGA adapter but with a small trick it does work. Its a little tricky but when you get the hang of it it becomes very easy. It will be hard for me to explain it here but do a little search with google and youll find the procedure.

regards

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude,

Talk about dangling a carrot. I've done the google searches, and other than the DC-X CD, I haven't found anything conclusive. There was some mention about unplugging the VGA box, starting it up, and then plugging the box back in...Is this what you are referring to?

As a side note...Has anyone purchased any of the "Backup" CD-R games before? I know, now I'll be admonished for talking about bootleg and be forever labled a cheap *******, but I was just curious. At $4 a pop, it would be a good way to test a game, and if you liked it buy the full blown.

Which leads me to....Where are some good sources to buy DC games reasonable. I've checked E-bay, but the more popular games, people are still asking $30 a pop?! I'm specifically looking for Gauntlet Legends, as I was a gauntlet junkie when it was at the arcade.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I don't know about the trick he's referring to but the Redant box is plug and play with Hydro Thunder. I don't know if there is a DC "backup" device.. but there are many for PS2. I've got one installed but haven't verified if it works yet.

Here's another board for you to spend your time in.
http://www.consolesource.com/forums/

·
Registered
63 Posts
The best solution if you do not have the (redant) VGA adapter that will boot any game in vga:

Power up the Dreamcast with game and VGA box switched to "TV" then count about 10 seconds (long enough for the DC swirl logo to disappear). You won't be able to see anything on your VGA during this period, but after a while you will get used to the timing.

After the 10 second lapse just switch the VGA box back to "VGA" and viola, you have VGA on all unsupported games. I know for a fact this works on Hydro Thunder, with the official SEGA branded VGA box. As for the rest of the games I have tested I seem to recall this trick working quite well.

I used to take the DC to work and hook it up to the lcd projector, displaying 640x480 on about a 40" piece of white paper in my cubicle. Of course we had crazy Soul Calibur contests, which IMHO is still one of the best looking games for DC after it's demise (and it was a launch title). Else try Tony Hawk 2, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Resident Evil, or any of the 2K2 sports titles.

Now of course the XBOX supports 16:9 HD out on several games, (including Madden and Halo or so i hear) so if you really want to show off your projector now would be the time to buy the recently reduced price $200 Xbox and the $40 HDTV adapter cable!

Still there are DOZENS of better games for the dreamcast in clearance bins than you could ever find for Xbox at $50 a pop. Not to mention a DC, second controller, memory card, vga box, and a couple games will only set you back $100 or so and output 640x480 standard on all games. Much better pricing for the casual gamer.

Just take a look at the SEVENTY 9+/10 rated DC games here:
http://dreamcast.ign.com/scores_9.html

If graphics quality is more important to you than gameplay...

Here are ELEVEN 9+/10 games for xbox:
http://xbox.ign.com/scores_9.html

But of course you can always buy both right?

sidebar: Nintendo Gamecube also supports HDTV out and DPL-2, not DD or DTS however. Playstation 2 supports DD, but not DTS if I recall and NO VGA or other HD support is available at this time short of a scan converter no matter what anyone else tells you... Dreamcast supports DPL only and XBOX supports DD and DTS I believe.

God I am pathetic.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by raiser72

God I am pathetic.
No, you are "Da Man".....Thanks for a great summary of gaming options and a solution to the VGA problem on DC.

And welcome to the Forum!!

PS:

I tried the trick on the Naki box. I can't get it to work. I timed the swirl going off and it's about 10 seconds. So, I power down the DC, switch the box to TV, and power up, counting to 10. Switch to VGA, and nothing. I don't think the Naki box will switch under power :(

Also, I've been experiencing some other odd problems. Sometimes, the disc will suddenly spin down, and the main menu will come up (Play, File, Setup). When I hit Play, DC says to insert a game CD. When I open the player, the disc seems to be spinning erratically. It does this on all discs so it's not a scratched CD. It seems to mostly happen when I have a disc waiting at the main play menu of the disc (not the DC main menu). If I wait too long, it seems to start this behavior. If I power down the DC, I have to wait a few seconds until I hear my monitor click off. When I repower the DC it seems okay. If I don't wait until the monitor clicks off, when I repower the DC, the main DC menu immediately pops up, no swirl intro, and it will not load a disc. I bought this DC used....Is this normal behavior or is something flaky in this unit?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.