AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a vga box for the Dreamcast and hooked it up to my 19" computer monitor and **** does it look amazing!!! I wanna see this awesome VGA video on my Toshiba 57H81. I know that I will need an Audio Authority 9A60 VGA to Component transcoder to do this, but is it a huge difference over running the S-Video input copared to the 480p signal that the 9A60 would produce. Has anyone tried the Treamcast Brand VGA Box, 9A60 VGA to Component Transcoder, and HD Component input on a Toshiba 57H81 and found the picture to be much more detailed and clear? Also did it correct the 2-3 inch vertical black bar on the left side of screen (Some people think it is the overscan that the game systems have) when running the Dreamcast through the S-Video or composite input? I couldn't imagine how clear Dreamcast would be on my HDTV with this setup if it worked flawlessly. I am just wanting to decide if the $120 for the transcoder is worth the picture difference. Where is the cheapest place to find the 9A60 or any other transcoder that works and does the same process?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have done this with my Mits TV and the RCA VGA to Component box. This picture is amazing. The RCA box can be had at BestBuy, Goodguys and Fry's for around $99.

The RCA box has a knob to adjusting the horizontal position of the picture.

--Rick

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a similar setup, but not quite the same. My VGA box is made by Blaze and I run it straight to the RGB/HV inputs on my Mits 46807. The picture is shifted about 1" to the left, causing a 1" black area on the right of the screen. Not ideal, but I am happy to deal with this to enjoy the increased PQ of 480P!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Treamcast VGA Box and wow does Dreamcast look amazing on a 17" LCD panel. I am just wanting to see if anyone with a new Toshiba H81 series HDTV have had good luck with the RCA transcoder for a clean and reliable conversion of VGA to component. I will also use it for HTPC from my laptop. Does the RCA trascoder do a good job for that too? For elss then $50 for the RCA it is a steal if it works and is reliable. More input please... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.