AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 418 Posts

·
aka jfinnie
5,444 Posts
I just got my sample of V6 in the mail and I must say I'm a little conflicted by it. I was expecting a slam dunk...
Current screen is a Screen Research Clearpix 4k AT woven on a 92" AT top /bottom masking screen.

Offering up the A3 size sample to the screen I note:
  • (+) Absolutely no visible weave structure (a big improvement over the Clearpix 4k, easily visible at my seating distance, that is my main annoyance and reason I'm looking at other surfaces)
  • (-) Observable reduction in edge sharpness on the V6 vs Clearpix 4k, which surprised me given postings from others (on abeit huge screens) about pixel grids becoming visible.
  • No significant difference in gain (will measure later)

I wonder if my comparatively small size (92", smaller than any screen Dreanscreen actually sell pre-made) is a factor here in the loss of sharpness? Am I being unreasonable in expecting it to be sharper? Or just dumb? I don't think I've ever seen unfavourable mention of the sharpness for this surface.

On balance, would I prefer the reduction in grain structure at a small sharpness penalty? Probably, but just leaves me with that little doubt.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I just got my sample of V6 in the mail and I must say I'm a little conflicted by it. I was expecting a slam dunk...
Current screen is a Screen Research Clearpix 4k AT woven on a 92" AT top /bottom masking screen.

Offering up the A3 size sample to the screen I note:
  • (+) Absolutely no visible weave structure (a big improvement over the Clearpix 4k, easily visible at my seating distance, that is my main annoyance and reason I'm looking at other surfaces)
  • (-) Observable reduction in edge sharpness on the V6 vs Clearpix 4k, which surprised me given postings from others (on abeit huge screens) about pixel grids becoming visible.
  • No significant difference in gain (will measure later)

I wonder if my comparatively small size (92", smaller than any screen Dreanscreen actually sell pre-made) is a factor here in the loss of sharpness? Am I being unreasonable in expecting it to be sharper? Or just dumb? I don't think I've ever seen unfavourable mention of the sharpness for this surface.

On balance, would I prefer the reduction in grain structure at a small sharpness penalty? Probably, but just leaves me with that little doubt.
Its possible the grain structure you're seeing is from your projector?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hello friends.

I hope all are safe and enjoying their theaters. Quick question, does anyone know of any updates on the availability of V7 material?

Thank you
Jerry

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Hello friends.

I hope all are safe and enjoying their theaters. Quick question, does anyone know of any updates on the availability of V7 material?

Thank you

Jerry

Still under production @Horta... :) We plan to be able to supply limited quantities by end May, but these production processes are always filled with challenges throughout. Just now we are adding fire retandancy to all layers, as well as TextileShield to a limited portion of the production. As soon as this is done the production will move to bonding, then inspection, another inspection and finally packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Black backing inevitable?

I'm searching for a new AT screen material to upgrade my DIY screen.
I've been using Centerstage XD material until now, but you can see the weave from my seating distance (3.4 meters) with 4k.
Dreamscreen seems like a very nice material to use...
but:
I use the screen in my living room.
It's a fixed frame screen that, when not in use, hangs under the ceiling
with the white backside of the Centerstage XD facing down.
Do I understand this correctly, that Dreamscreen V6 or V7 the back layer is black
and that the Dreamscreen needs this layer?
Having a huge black rectangle hanging from our living room ceiling might be difficult
to explain to my girl-friend...;)

P.S.: @Lygren, thanks for your detailed analysis of the XY screen material (in another thread), that some
people or so happy with. I really want to preserve the sound of my Klipsch Palladium speakers as well as possible.
And it was great to read about your measuring results.:)

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Hi Tim!

The black backing of the v6 / v7 is integrated, so unfortunately not possible to take out... The backing is also important in terms of performance.

As for the XY vs. v6 / v7, we have had new measurements made out using the XY (same "4K" version) as one of the references (the Studiotek 100 being the main reference). You can find the measurements at the bottom of this page: https://dreamscreen.no/collections/...n-ultraweave-v7-screen-fabric-2-3x3-5m-2-3x5m. For the measurement we did in the XY thread it was really just a very fast one, and not properly controlled and re-measured, and the calibrator that performed it actually forgot to add a black backing behind the XY while performing the measures at that time and as such adding reflection from the Studiotek 100 that was located behind it. Now, with several re-measurements, and with black backing added to make sure only the fabric reflection is measured, the XY measures in at a gain of 0.86 (MFG specified to 1.1) vs. 0.81 on the v6 (MFG specified to 0.80), i.e. about 6% more light than the v6, while the v7 measures out comparably 0.93 (MFG specified to 0.93), i.e. about 8% more than the XY while maintaining significantly better acoustical properties as well as integrated backing.

I've been using Centerstage XD material until now, but you can see the weave from my seating distance (3.4 meters) with 4k.
but:
Do I understand this correctly, that Dreamscreen V6 or V7 the back layer is black
Having a huge black rectangle hanging from our living room ceiling might be difficult

P.S.: @Lygren, thanks for your detailed analysis of the XY screen material (in another thread), that some
people or so happy with. I really want to preserve the sound of my Klipsch Palladium speakers as well as possible.
And it was great to read about your measuring results.:)

Reactions: Ericglo

·
Registered
625 Posts
but:
You can add another visually nice layer on the backside by yourself, I once had this idea myself at some point to have a "disappearing" hinged fixed screen too .....

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Hi Jon,

still no news about rollable screen material ? :angel:
The v7-production is now in the final stage (inspection and packaging) and will be finished by early next week. As soon as we´re able to ship the fabrics to some various distribution locations (some will be available for shipment quite shortly) we will start testing it for rollable performance. Can´t make any promises yet, but the increased rigidness of the v7-buildup makes it potentially more suited for a tensioned, rollable solution than the v6, which does require the stretch of a framed solution. I will let you know of the results of our tests as soon as they are ready! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can add another visually nice layer on the backside by yourself, I once had this idea myself at some point to have a "disappearing" hinged fixed screen too .....
Yeah, you are right! I have been thinking along those lines myself.
Maybe I'll wait for the V7.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
For anyone interested, the v7 production is now finished and we are able to ship small quantities within 7-10 days (bulk shipments available for our EU distributors in 6-8 weeks). Please contact the distributor (https://dreamscreen.no/pages/distributors) or contact us directly if there is no distributor in your country.

Attachments

·
aka jfinnie
5,444 Posts
For anyone interested, the v7 production is now finished and we are able to ship small quantities within 7-10 days (bulk shipments available for our EU distributors in 6-8 weeks). Please contact the distributor (https://dreamscreen.no/pages/distributors) or contact us directly if there is no distributor in your country.
Do you ever have smaller pieces than the standard 2.3x4m available?
For my tiny screen in my micro theatre (a 92" diagonal 16:9 Screen Research electric masking setup) even that size is enough to do my screen 3 times! :)

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Do you ever have smaller pieces than the standard 2.3x4m available?

For my tiny screen in my micro theatre (a 92" diagonal 16:9 Screen Research electric masking setup) even that size is enough to do my screen 3 times! :)

Actually, during inspection some smaller pieces has been cut out and is currently available at reduced prices (very limited quantities), contact your distributor or us directly ([email protected]) for more info. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobof

·
aka jfinnie
5,444 Posts
Its possible the grain structure you're seeing is from your projector?
I never did answer this, sorry.
The grain structure visible is definitely in the Clearpix 4k fabric from what I can see. If I find a part of the screen I notice the grain on in eg some bright sky scene, and put the Dreamscreen sample over that part of screen, the grain disappears.

I think I got to the bottom of the apparent softer image on the Dreamscreen when viewed up close.
From what I can see, the slight softness is in the projector image, not resulting from the screen. Because the Dreamscreen has a much tighter weave, you see all the softness.
With the Clearpix 4k, the surface is rough and there are quite a lot of "holes" visible through the weave. This means not all the projected image softness is visible - some of it is replaced by darkness from the lack of weave in the position. This makes it hard to assess the sharpness up close to the screen when comparing.

From seated benefit of the lack of the grain structure in the Dreamscreen is a big advantage IMHO.

·
Registered
692 Posts
In case anyone is looking for V6 material I have placed a post in our classified section selling my brand new unused 180" diag material.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey guys. Has anyone received a screen with V7 material? I'd be very interested in some impressions if so.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I installed V7 into my theater in June this year. It replaced the V6 I used since 2017. I have used the same JVC RS500 all this time. Just keep the bulb fresh.
I can say 100% without any doubt the V7 is totally worth the upgrade. I felt like I got a new much brighter projector.

My screen is scope 12 feet wide. Totally dedicated theater. I could not be happier with the image.

I have been meaning to write up a review and start a new thread but just been busy.

So to anyone who has V6 and wishes they had a brighter image I say GO FOR IT !!

As far sound, that you could lose 1.5 dB well I honestly could not tell at all. I did redo my Audyssey calibration but only after like a week or two. But I never felt like I had to because I heard any difference at all. I did it because I added two more back subs. 6 subs total know in my theater. 2 front 2 sides 2 back. 7.6.4 Atmos.

My room is a Dennis Erskine designed room with full sound isolation and acoustically tuned so the sound is important to me. I use Procella P6 for my front stage. Triad everywhere else. Two front subs are PSA I listen to movies at reference always. My theater is used for movies only.

The material is thicker and a bit harder to instal in the grip rails included. My hands were soo soar when I was done. But once I fired up the projector the first time the cost and trouble was 100% worth it.

So to say it I have ZERO regrets or negatives of going thru the expense and trouble of changing the screen.

My girlfriend who loves movies but can never really tell when I do an upgrade unless I point it out and really show her, well she noticed immediately and keeps mentioning how awesome the image is.

321 - 340 of 418 Posts