AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am totally new to this forum and not very well versed in technical matters concerning projectors so please be forgiving if my questions seem silly but..... I have a dreamvision dl500 with which i am generally happy except for watching sport (especially football) and also with gray line artifact (was really bothersome in the harry potter dvd). the projector is hooked up via an s video connection through a marantz preamp. I dont have a line doubler or screen (projection wall newly painted flat white).DSS (not HDTV receiver) also connected via s video. ?any recommendations on improving my system ie scaler, screen, HDtv dish, progressive scan dvd? Like i suspect it is to most of you money is a big consideration and will only do one thing at a time. Was thinking of starting with an iscan pro or even maybe a dream vision optimizer scaler (cant find a price on the internet, anybody know about how much and how well they work?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The Davis line of projectors (of which the DL500 is a semi clone) like mine and yours have a truly great little optical engine coupled with one worst scalers out there...

Put a HTPC with your PJ via VGA - EVC connection and you will be amazed... Progressive wont do (cant get it in either IIRC) but there is a cheap -+ 200 box that I cannot remember the model number of that does a basic de-interlace on a budget if the complexity of HTPC and the price of a scaler is a problem...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks much. dont know anything about HTPC. Is this just a dedicated "normal" pc with projector software or a pc product made just for this application?

·
Registered
393 Posts
The VB50 is actually a TV tuner for a PC, but can be used or projector applications. Basically, it has a S-video, composite and VGA inputs, with one VGA output to the projector/monitor. Do a search on these forums for it and you'll find lots of info about it. Last I checked, Amazon was selling it for around $100. It's supposed to help cable and satellite sources.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a DL500 too. I upgraded it with an iScanPro and yes the result is much much better. Really, I can't even start to watch trough the regular S-video connection again, the diference is that big.

I do know that you can get the same or better performance with a good HTPC, but that is not my experience with the DL500 .. iScanPro gives a better picture (HTPC had a Geforce 2 card...) ... and is much easier to connect. I have DSS, video player, and DVD player all connected at once to the iScanPro, and the image is truly wonderful.

I just have one problem (not related to the iScanPro , but just my particular DL500 unit): on RGB input (iScanPro) the red sometimes disappears, to appear again after like 10 minutes ... any ideas?

BTW, you can get an iScanPro for about $650 if you order in the US.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a DL 500 and I can tell you that the I-scan is not as good as using a scaler that will also deinterlace. I use the Crystal Image VS 2.0. You can probably pick one up for under $1,000. Also, you need to switch from S-video to RGB. Try Better Cables it's very inexpensive and the results are amazing. Finally, with DSS the image quality improves to near DVD quality if you switch to an HDTV unit. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.