AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put together a list of drives that I have tested on plan on testing for various ReplayTV models and posted them on the web. If anyone is using one of the newer drives that I don't have listed or found incompatibilities with drives, please PM me and I can make additions to the list.

Hard Drive Compatibility Matrix

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You put a lot of effort into this. Good work.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Stewart
I thought that the original Maxtor 160gb was 5400rpm???
Original-yes, the 160 listed in his chart-no (it's 7200 RPM).

-Gary

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm interested in the Samsung 120 GB 5400 RPM drive. Has anybody run one of these for any length of time yet? The price is right and has a three year warranty. It runs about $123 delivered on pricewatch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Does this mean that there are drives quieter than OEM,

but that you have not noted any drives COOLER than OEM?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
pu82, good to see you posting again. How are you measuring "Quieter than OEM"? What's a good big quiet drive. That's what I really want to know.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
The Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM with fluid bearings is reallllllly quiet.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Bayside may be referring to the Maxtor 6Y120L0. 1 year warranty. It is super quiet but runs hot. Probably should use a fan when used in legacy units.

The Maxtor 4R120L0 is a 5400 version of that same drive. It may run cooler. 1 year warranty.

The older 4G series 5400 RPM with 3 year warranty is a smarter move. I don't expect any drive will last 3 years inside a replay. It's likely to be replaced under warranty, which is the same as getting a drive for free. Noise level is pretty good as well. I'd say somewhere between the OEM drive and the fluid bearing.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I got one yesterday and put it in a replay2020. It booted right up, runs as cool as any 5400 drive. I can hear it spin but it isn't annoying. Might even be suitable for a bedroom. If you put the replay in a stereo cabinet you may not hear it at all. No seeking noise. I have no idea how well Samsung will hold up in a replay. This drive is economical and has a 3 year warranty.

I'm a Maxtor diehard (replay wise) but I am dissatisfied with the new 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy
Mikeyboy, which is quieter the 5400 and 7200 RPM you mentioned?
Both of the Maxtor fluid bearing models are the quietest drives I've experienced i.e. 6Y120L0 (7200) and 4R120L0 (5400). The 6Y and possibly the 4R acoustic management come set to AMSET /Performance. This setting produces clicking. Once that's changed to AMSET /QUIET it is fantastically quiet. It's been a while since I've listened to the 4R but I certainly can vouch for the 6Y quietness.

The old Maxtor 4G120J6 and the Samsung SV1204H noise and warranty are the same. Good characteristic for legacy recorders.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I changed the document to pdf from its html format. Sorry about that, I found it easier to create PDF files instead of web pages with the data. I did add some updates plus some contributions from the forum.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
pu82, I thing the Samsung (at least the one I received) SV1204H is quieter than legacy OEM drive.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
The problem with hard drives is that they vary from unit to unit. Get 10 of the exact same model and they'll all have a different 'hum' and register differently on the decibal scale. One might last 10 years, another might last 10 months.

I think it's fair to theorize as to generalizations, that is after using perhaps 100 of a given model, you can make determinations as to what model is generally quieter, generally reliable, etc. But hard drives are always ticking time bombs IMHO, and while they may never break, they may always be about to break :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Mikeyboy,

I'll have to pick up one or two of those Samsung drives and throw them into the Showstoppers I have. I would think that Maxtor will get hammered for dropping their warranty to 1 year. They must have been getting to many returns. It makes you wonder about the manufactures trusting the quality of their drives.

Don

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ddsmith
Thanks for the feedback Mikeyboy,

I'll have to pick up one or two of those Samsung drives and throw them into the Showstoppers I have. I would think that Maxtor will get hammered for dropping their warranty to 1 year. They must have been getting to many returns. It makes you wonder about the manufactures trusting the quality of their drives.

Don
My pleasure. Just so you know, I had a rebooting problem with that drive in the 2020 but it may not be the drives fault as the IBM I put right back in it acted up as well. I'll know more in a few days.

UPDATE - The Samsung is working fine. I think the power supply caused the reboots. It's been recording flawlessly for 24 hours straight now. I put the 2020 in a stereo cabinet so it is super quiet. Wasn't all that bad to start with.

·
Registered
483 Posts
With those 1 year warranty drives it's actually not a bad thing.... those extended warranties at bestbuy compusa that you can buy on a drive for like 20 bucks give you a new drive for a broken one only AFTER the manufacturers warranty is out, and I'd rather walk in to swap it out than do a crossover in the mail. Of course those worked best when you were buying small drives that wouldnt' exist in that size range in 2 or 3 years.

Anyhow, a drive in a replay has got to take a much bigger beating than in your standard PC, so maybe those warranties would be worth getting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.