AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Western Digital WD1200BBRTL 7200 RPM drive from Circuit City today for 69.99 after rebates (3 day sale starting today). Is this one that will work with the upgrade.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Even more so....I'd be concerned that this may be the cheapest price we ever see for a guaranteed-to-work 120 gig drive. I'd bet the 1200BBRTLs are being closed out at this price and that WD will only have the 8MB buffer drives from now on.

My local stores are out...but were glad to order me one at that price w/the rebates.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Will the 8mb version work? Many people from the CC sale are reporting that although the box says 2mb, they are getting anote in the box that the drive has been upgraded to the 8bm.

BTW, early this morning, this drive at CC had 3 rebates bringing the price down to $9.99 + tax on $159. Luckily I purchased the drive with the 3 rebates!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lazymannow
I saw those 3 rebates before I bought and checked it out....they will not honor the 60.00 rebate
Actually, many people are getting the $60 (now removed rebate) as an instant rebate from the store manager when they pickup the drive from the store.

But, I'm really looking for the answer to the question. Will the 8mb model work in a UTV?

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Some people have gotten it to work - results have been mixed. The crutch of the issue appears to be that:

1) Some of the JB drives don't support ATA security.

and

2) The advice about removing the jumper from WD drives may not hold true for the JB drives. In this case it appears the jumper may need to be left in the Master/Single position.

So to answer your question: maybe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.