AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give the recent posts on Win2K SP2 install issues, that I'm building my first HTPC (finally), and that I'm acutely aware of disaster recovery (and configuration management), I thought I'd ask for opinions about drive imaging software. Surprisingly, I didn't find much on Windows 2000 Magazine's Archive CD, to which I subscribe.

I've been googling for a few days w/out success locating quality (or any for that matter) comparisons/reviews. Maybe I'm a bad googler.

Ever searched for "drive image" or "ghost" on an AV forum dedicated to PCs.. mucho hits about PQ (picture quality). Ah, for want of boolean expressions.. give me "near" or give me death, I say.

Here's what I've found; please share your experiences or links:edit: Require NTFS support as I'll be building with Windows XP beta 2 (hopefully). UFS support (FreeBSD) would be a bonus.

TIA

..Mike

------------------
Newbie snacks in xcel's HTPC FAQ & Favorites ¤ Buyer's Guide: HTPC for Newbies ¤ Ron Jones ¤ DC ¤ Radeon ¤ Keohi HDTV ¤ Don O'Brien D-ILA and the oft-mentioned archives .s>

Join AVSforum team to help Scotty (son of AVS moderator)s>Â*Â*fight leukemiac>f>.

[This message has been edited by miksmi (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have been using Drive Image Pro 4.0 works as advertised...

There's not much better praise I guess... Simple task but well exectuted... The reason I like it best is I can let my brother install demo games from cover CD's for a few days and the just 'restore' a clean partition rather than live with poor uninstallers

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I prefer Drive Image Pro to Ghost. DIPro automatically breaks images > 2G into chunks, whereas Ghost would just crash. Also, DIPro can actually save/restore image files to/from an NTFS partition, which can be pretty useful if you don't have any FAT drives. DIPro also has a more intuitive interface.

Ghost might be a hair faster when backing up, but DIPro is fast enough. I've been using it on my various machines for a while now, and it works well. I usually get 300-400MB/min backing up with DIPro, and when restoring I've gotten as much as 700MB/min on a RAID-O system.

Jeff

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've used Drive Image 3.0 when I started HTPC and it is one of the best productivity tool. I have no complains.

Whenever I faced a bad install or uninstall, I just revert back to the last condition. You will find some similarity in The 6th Day movie. Here's how:

Normally, I'll capture the image progressively from a clean OS intall to plus drivers of the other hardwares, finally some images with softwares loaded.

You choose the images you want to experiment later.

DI 4.0 can write to serial CDs for greater than 700mb image.

CH Yeow

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I've been using Norton Ghost 2001 with Win/Me. It doesn't seem to have any problems with partitions > 2GB.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Mike:

___I will pass on a vote for Drive Image Pro 4.01 myself. I was an early adopter of DI a few years ago and have never looked back. It was a lot easier to guide a new PC owner to reconstruct his PC using DI with its GUI vs. Ghost given its command line interface of old. This may have changed since the last time I used/tried Ghost for this task.

___A caveat with DI Pro … as usual. I tried to restore a Windows 2000 partition in a dual boot HTPC with DI and it would not boot properly afterwards. This was not a very fun experience. Instead, I use a Millennium boot disk to boot to Safe Mode “Command Prompt Onlyâ€. Afterwards, use DOS to launch DI and restore in that manner. Also, if the OS or partition that you installed DI Pro into is ruined, you have no way to restore from the installable. I have a few DI boot disks laying around just in case. You just never know http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry:
I've been using Norton Ghost 2001 with Win/Me. It doesn't seem to have any problems with partitions > 2GB.
What I meant, is that if your backing up to an image file on a fat32 drive, Ghost will bomb when the image file exceeds 2GB, unless you explicitly tell it to break the image into chunks. DIPro will chunk the image automatically to avoid the 2GB file limitation.

Jeff

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Jeff -

I think I'm just using the defaults, but on mine (G2001) if the target file goes >2GB it prompts me. I just have to hit Enter and it creates some other file name and continues.

This is on Win/ME, FAT32, dumping a C: partition to a file on the D: disk. Possibly other environments differ.

Maybe I'm in for some rude surprises but I'm currently running at least one machine that was restored from one of these. I think it's okay.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Drive Image 4.0 has worked excellent for me on my Windows 98 SE partitions. The Pro version though which does NTFS is news to me. It looks to be marketed to business IT professionals, and available in 10-packs for about US $20 each. Has anyone found a single-user license to buy?

------------------

Brian Ness

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Tom,

It's been a while since I looked at Ghost, it could be the problems I had have been fixed by now. Fact is both programs are great and you really can't go wrong with either one. Ghost seems to get slightly better performance, but Drive Image Pro has an easier to use interface. Also, I'm not sure if Ghost can read/write image files to/from NTFS partitions from DOS, but DIPro can.

Jeff

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mike,

CNET did a comparison b/w Drive Image and Ghost. I thik Ghost got 8 and Drive Image got 9. I went with Norton System Works Pro 2001 which includes Ghost 2001 single user version. I bought it mainly for all the Anti-Virus too and my 2000 version of NAV was due for annual subscription.

From what I remember there is little difference is performance while Drive Image has a better GUI and Ghost has a powerful command line interface. I am unable to find the link to the comparison.

BTW I bought the systems work Pro for around $16 OEM version. I am happy with Ghost especially at the price.

------------------

Thanks

Srikanth Koka

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.