AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well once again I figured out how to make my HTPC adventure interesting.

If anyone knows how to partition a 60 gig hard drive I would appreciate some help.

This all started with TT 2.0. I downloaded 2.0 within the first min of release. Noticed some issues with it and monitored the various boards regarding an update patch to fix the issues. I got the updates tried them out and still had a couple of odd problems. After much fiddling around I decided to revert my C drive to a pre 2.0 state via Ghost. Well my hard drive was (notice I said was) partitioned with 2 additional drive letters for storing patches updates music files etc. before I did this. I went through the Ghost process to put the pre 2.0 Image in place of the current image. Through distractions or plain stupidity I must have fat fingered something because after I checked my updated or replaced C drive I ended up with 1 60 gig c drive partition spanning the whole disk. I have pretty much accepted the fact that my data on the other 2 drives are history. I would like to repartition the drive to replace the 2 original drives. How do I do this? I tried Partition Magic 8.0 but for some reason it does not install on my PC. I get a message at the end of the installation wizard telling me that it was interrupted and that I should try back later. What could this be?

If there is another way of doing this short of a complete reinstall I would appreciate any help or direction.

Thanks

Rob (Yankee Fan on the ledge)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Boot from an XP CD, partition and format C: partition at the correct size that you want, either quit setup (a reset during file copy will work as Ghost will overwrite th partition anyways) or exit recovery console (whichever you used to partition the drive), restore the Ghost image to that new partition. Boot into the restored C: partition and use Disk Management to build/format the other two partitions.

Note: This is provided that the Ghost image is on CD or some other media and is/was not on the drive in question. If you selected "Disk -> From Image" and the image was created with "Partition -> To Image" that would explain what happened...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feed back guy's.

Stanger89 I tried Partition Magic and it failed to load on my system. Daddy Rabbit I will try your suggestions as I saved the ghosted image of my C drive on a separate Hard Drive on my system. I will probably copy that partition to DVD and use if necessary. If all else fails I will reinstall XP and start from Scratch. Now that the Yankees choked and Hell has indeed frozen over I have allot of time to devote to this issue. Ill report back later. If there are any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thx

Rob

·
Registered
509 Posts
You can launch Partition Magic from the cd. Just make sure your computer is set to check cd first, then start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.