AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a RAID set and an external RAID set, both ~1TB. Is there a utility or native software for WindowsXP that will allow me to keep both synchronized with out any intervention. For example, I rip all of media to the internal RAID set and would like for the internal RAID set to "automatically" synchronize with the external RAID set. Is this possible?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yes, there is.

I can't remember the name of it right now, but PM me tomorrow and I'll get it for you.

I have it on my work laptop. I believe it does realtime sync, but not sure since I only use manual. It's actually command-line driven.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been using Allway Sync for a few weeks now, it isn't free, but you can download it to try it out and for minimal use, after 7 days of syncing ~20GB it's telling me I'm overusing the shareware version and have to 'buy' the PRO version, if this is something you're looking to spend money on it's worth a look.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allway Sync looks like the solution, but I am concerned if the application can handle ~1TB of data. Guess I will download the demo and find out. Thanks for the suggestions...

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govnah /forum/post/0

Allway Sync looks like the solution, but I am concerned if the application can handle ~1TB of data. Guess I will download the demo and find out. Thanks for the suggestions...

It will, just maybe once a month unless you buy the 'pro' version. I downloaded the PowerToy's Sync tool, is there no way to schedule an automated sync? Allway Sync gives you GREAT controls for this, many, many options.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_2kgt /forum/post/0

I downloaded the PowerToy's Sync tool, is there no way to schedule an automated sync?

Yes, you can schedule SyncToy as a Windows Task. Click on Help and there is a menu item detailing how to create a scheduled task. It's very basic, but it's free and it works.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have an unRAID server, and a couple of times a week I have to copy files from my desktop PC to my server.

The problem is that these files are located in different folders. So right now I just copy each file one by one, but this requires me to sit at my computer during the whole process.

Is there a a good utility that will allow me to create a list of files that needs to be copied from my desktop to my server, specifying the source and destination, which won't require me to sit at my computer copying and pasting files one by one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
DO NOT USE SyncToy!!!!

It always choked on me (with different PCs too).

Robocopy is the other Microsoft tool. The only problem is its command-line. Create a batch file and you can then schedule that.

If you want to purchase one, Save-n-Sync is good.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have used SyncToy at home and work for a few years and never had a problem with it. I was skeptical when I first used it but it has been a great tool for me.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 /forum/post/0

DO NOT USE SyncToy!!!!

It always choked on me (with different PCs too).

That's strange...I've never had a problem with SyncToy...

Yep...Robocopy is a great tool...but a little difficult to use.

sdheda....take a look at Cobian Backup. It's a nice freeware backup utility that will do straight folder copies:

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/index.htm

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I've also had it fail to copy files, even over USB!

The stupid program would insist the folders were snyced, but when comparing folder sizes I would see the truth

When I re-ran the program it would still skip them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.