AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My UTV is almost dead (one tuner only that need manual tweaking) and I've decided to get a DTivo replacement.

I want to unlock my current UTV drive to add to the Tivo, but I just realized that this may not be possible since I am not upgrading the drive. I don't have a second UTV and since I am not replacing the existing drive I don't know of any way to cause UTV to forget (or change) its IDE user password.

Does anyone know of any way to cause UTV to start an unlock and low level format w/out a second UTV box or previous hard drive swap?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't know if this will work but it sounds you don't have anything to lose on that hard drive:

Try code 24682468. While it is doing the lowlevel format disconnect the ide cable but leave the power hooked up at least one minute per gig.

I have not read or seen of this being tried but it seems that it would work. My understanding is that the security lock is placed on the drive after the format process so it should go.

Let us know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm sort of a newb with these codes. From what I remember I should turn the device off, then hit the "menu options" button 3 time, then press 24682468. I tried this several time but it seems to do nothing. No lights flash and I can just turn it back on.

Can someone clue me in...

[edit] I did just get 3.7, I'm wondering if that disabled this code. Or maybe it never worked :)[/edit]

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sorry for the misinformation schickb.

I read that code in a post within the last month or so where it was described as "low-level format HD".

Tried running a search for it but either it has been deleted because it was in error or I was hallucinating:confused:

Found it. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=249594 Post#2.

I apologize again.

If anybody knows if there is a low-level format code, that would be helpful here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may not need to do a low level format - those are typically only used when the drive is being manufactured. Really only the format code should be needed if in fact a format will change the password. Sorry, I don't know the code off hand. Maybe someone else knows

Good Luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well unless someone knows a code to get the UTV to reset its passwords and zero, it looks like I need another UTV. Would another UTV tinkerer out there like to reset my drive for me?

I live in the Seattle area and could ship it to you with return shipping. I could offer something for your trouble... although not much since its just a used 40g drive :)

Please send me a PM if you're up for it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Try hooking up any IDE drive UTV will try to format it... after it's done... put your 35 mb back in.. and unlock it .. but I would think is a waste of time putting a 40g drive in a tivo with 120 being had so cheap IMHO. A spare maybe..

Anyway lots of utv people in your area... :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I understand the way the unlocking works after a normal drive upgrade, I don't think that would work. After you fully upgrade a UTV, you can temporarily attach the old drive. UTV unlocks it and starts the format. But then you detach the old drive before the process finishes and from what I understand the new upgraded drive still works without another reset. In other words, UTV doesn't reset its internal password until the end of the reformat process.

If that is correct, then I wouldn't be able to get it to unlock this drive unless it first locks another drive. Right?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Send me the drive and I will format it. If you have a sony unit I would like the remote....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.