AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing research into upgrading 2 of my Replay RTV5060. I am having trouble finding the drives listed in various threads here, on PlanetReplay, and other support sites. I have found the following drives but do not know if they will work --

WD5000JBRTL Western Digital 500gb

5A320J00816E6 Maxtor 320gb

ST3120212ACE Seagate 320gb

I am particularly interested in the WD and Maxtor because of size and availablity. Would appreciated any comment regarding compatibility, noise and durability for these unit in a RTV50xx unit. Any suggestions for comparable drives in the 320/500gb range would be helpful.

TIA

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I would say that only the Seagate ACE drives are currently known to be compatible...

The WD drive is most likely marked on the drive with "AA" and will be incompatible...

Henry

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Henry.

Do you know anything about the Maxtor? The supplier claims it is an OEM Replay drive. He will format and load the drive with the proper image.

CCJ

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ /forum/post/19506868

Do you know anything about the Maxtor? The supplier claims it is an OEM Replay drive. He will format and load the drive with the proper image.

I held my tongue in my previous post, but, personally, I wouldn't use the Maxtor drives if they paid me. Having had to return my original purchased 5080 THREE TIMES in the first year warranty (that's FOUR hard drives in a year!), each failing with the same "click of death" that Maxtor was so notorious at the time, I personally couldn't rightfully recommend anything but the Seagate drives. So, you'd have to see if anyone else posts their comments about that particular drive model. You can also check out replaytvupgrade.com's drive compatibility section...

Henry

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been using Maxtor (320gb) for 5 years and they are no better or worse than any of the other brands i've used (WD, Seagate (which owns Maxtor). My 3 Replay's have Maxtor in them at the moment. All of the brands of drives I've used have failed after 3-6 years of continuous use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts