AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out how much (clean RMS-peak) power a driver can take in relation to xmax. I guess the bottom line is.. is it best to stay within the parameters of max spl in winisd and call it good unless a guy had the capability to actually measure the driver in the correlating enclosure himself and not count on the reg spl tab and go with that regarding expectations and putting a clamp on a over powered amp for the application.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
tough topic.

how much power a driver can take is a function of the size/gauge of the wire, type of wire, diameter of the voice coil, the type of former it is wrapped on, cooling design elements in the motor itself, the cabinet it will be used in (determines the impedance and in turn current min/max), the nature of the content itself (high power, high frequency tends to be more demanding than high power, low frequency because with high frequency the driver isn't pumping as much air to cool itself), and so on...

with so many variables all at play, I'm not sure there is a clear way to relate power to voice coil length which is a large part of xmax.

interesting question though.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1523873/driver-expectations#post_24518739

Trying to figure out how much (clean RMS-peak) power a driver can take in relation to xmax..
The WinISD maximum power chart will tell you that, it considers both xmax and Pe.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
with the caveat that some drivers are better at short term shooting past xmax than others.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1523873/driver-expectations#post_24521290

with the caveat that some drivers are better at short term shooting past xmax than others.
That has to do with the xlim/xmax ratio, preferably no less than 2:1. That can be hard to find out, way too many drivers don't even list the xlim spec.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I know it's a bugger of a subject when taking everything into account including the unknowns. Do any of you know if Dayton generally rate their xmax 10-15% under or are they more aggressive?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1523873/driver-expectations#post_24522803

Thanks guys, I know it's a bugger of a subject when taking everything into account including the unknowns. Do any of you know if Dayton generally rate their xmax 10-15% under or are they more aggressive?
There are two usually employed methods of rating xmax, mathematically by the coil depth minus gap height divided by two, or by excursion at 10% measured THD. The former tends to be more conservative. Which Dayton uses only Dayton can say, if they know, as that spec usually comes from the manufacturer, not the retailer. Since Dayton sources their drivers from a number of manufacturers both methods may be used, depending on where they got them from.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1523873/driver-expectations#post_24522937

There are two usually employed methods of rating xmax, mathematically by the coil depth minus gap height divided by two, or by excursion at 10% measured THD. The former tends to be more conservative. Which Dayton uses only Dayton can say, if they know, as that spec usually comes from the manufacturer, not the retailer. Since Dayton sources their drivers from a number of manufacturers both methods may be used, depending on where they got them from.

Thanks Bill. I didn't think of sourcing, very good point.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1523873/driver-expectations#post_24518739

Trying to figure out how much (clean RMS-peak) power a driver can take in relation to xmax. I guess the bottom line is.. is it best to stay within the parameters of max spl in winisd and call it good unless a guy had the capability to actually measure the driver in the correlating enclosure himself and not count on the reg spl tab and go with that regarding expectations and putting a clamp on a over powered amp for the application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1523873/driver-expectations#post_24520744

tough topic.

how much power a driver can take is a function of the size/gauge of the wire, type of wire, diameter of the voice coil, the type of former it is wrapped on, cooling design elements in the motor itself, the cabinet it will be used in (determines the impedance and in turn current min/max), the nature of the content itself (high power, high frequency tends to be more demanding than high power, low frequency because with high frequency the driver isn't pumping as much air to cool itself), and so on...

with so many variables all at play, I'm not sure there is a clear way to relate power to voice coil length which is a large part of xmax.

interesting question though.

Yeah. Sorry Steve, that I wasn't able to come in earlier when I got your PM but ....

...it was still early and my brain wasn't working. Read your post and was like...

But John summed it up for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz  /t/1523873/driver-expectations#post_24520880

Well one thing is for certain, you won't hit xmax at 60hz and if you do...

Wow. I haven't seen that video in foreverz.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Yeah. Sorry Steve, that I wasn't able to come in earlier when I got your PM but .... But John summed it up for me.

I have my list of the most durable /go to members here on the forum.
I went back over John's reply and gleaned a little more though, I would have thought just the opposite until noticing and thinking it through. Xmax is not the final judge depending on the enclosure of course.
Quote:
LTD> low frequency because with high frequency the driver isn't pumping as much air to cool itself), and so on...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts