AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am trying to output 1920x1080 via VGA to my LG 47LH30 through use of an NVIDIA 8800GT graphics card. However, it will only output a weird 1600x1200 which ends up being squashed and cut off by the TV.

To test if the cable was bad, I plugged the VGA cable into my laptop which instantly recognized the TV as "LG TV" via "Generic PnP Monitor" drivers to the correct resolution of 1920x1080. My laptop is running a NVIDIA 8400M card.

I have the latest drivers and Windows 7 x64 set up for both. In theory, there should be no difference.

Quite frustrated, I want to just copy the laptop Generic PnP Monitor drivers to the computer (although technically they are identical and released by Microsoft), hoping that my desktop will finally see this tv as a "LG TV" rather than an "analogue display" or "Generic non-PnP monitor" as it currently is.

How did my laptop see that I had an "LG TV", and how can I make my desktop do this as well?

Thanks so much for your help

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Do you have the latest drivers and installtion from the Nvidia Website or do you have the latest from MS Winupdate? If from Winupdate get the latest from Nvida instead.

You can't jsut copy drivers since when drivers are installed they also make registry changes which you can not copy even it you have the same make/model of graphics card/chip on both systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks. I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA.

I also tried uninstalling all NVIDIA drivers, running Driver Sweeper to clean the computer of all NVIDIA + more drivers, then re-installing the latest non-beta NVIDIA software.

Same incorrect configuration. Argh.

It's honestly such a strange circumstance. Same underlying graphics chipset, same drivers, same OS, same cable, same TV. One works and one doesn't.

If any of you guys have any ideas I'd be more than happy to check them. Next stop, re-install the OS but I want to avoid that.

I find it positive that at least everything works on my laptop, so I know its a computer config issue.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
get a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter and be done with it, it will provide a better picture on the TV than VGA will and you will not have a problem giving the TV 1080p because your video card will recognize what signals it can use more accurately

1 - 4 of 4 Posts