AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it very interesting that some Sub manufacturers like HSU, don't go any larger than 12", but just use progressively larger enclosures, larger ports, and larger amps. While other companies such as Velodyne seem to have no qualms with using 18's ! And of course these are 'both' very well respected companies, who produce top grade products.

Can any of you guys explain the positive and negative aspects of the smaller 10's and 12's, as opposed to the larger 18's (and in some cases, even larger than that) subs ? Surely, each must have +'s and -'s, huh ?

And along these lines, I'm kind of surprised that no other speaker companies (of which I'm aware of) build anything like this {even if it were built to a somewhat lesser degree} > http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...3&sid=460w569n

Curious,

Fish

PS, I used to go to a night club that bragged / heavily advertised their 50,000 watt sound system. It really did sound (and feel) great too ! I remember they had banks of 12's and 15's, but they also had two 24's. I was always curious how much those actually added to the system. I would assume that they probably covered a very narrow range of say 16Hz to 22Hz ? So even if you didn't hear them, they felt really cool :)

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
HSU being about value for the money first they have to spend the money with maximum effect. In this case the classic 12" woofer frame,they use stapled steel is dirt cheap(the driver's basket),only the motor structure,the sipder,VC and moving assemly has to have high linear excursion.

No money invested in bling. A 12" long throw woofer with a heavy cone mounted in a optimally vented cabinet can produce more deep bass output than most 15" in sealed cabinets,and matches even some 18" in sealed cabinets!

Here cost VS performance is king.

In sealed cabinets you only have the woofer's pistion radiating energy,you need to have a large pistion with a good travel or like JL Audio a mid-sized pistion with a huge travel. And we know these drivers and the amps to drive them cost much more. So the price performance ratio drops(performance here referes only to OUTPUT down deep).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.