AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up empty on a good driveway gate controller solution for our new build and could use some suggestions.

Pretty much gotta have features:
- keypad for entry
- in car remotes (garage door like) for entry

Really want:
- some tie in to home automation/security
- some form of phone app for remote access control

Nice to have:
- video
- intercom

Want to avoid:
- cellular bill
- complete reliance on home automation computer

So far I've looked at the gogogate/ismartgate solution. No keypad and not sure how I'd add it. Has video but pretty sure that's going to be subscription based. Looked at the myQ stuff from Chamberlain, not bad but is a package system with their motor which is borderline for our needs at best. And gate installer showed a nice enough cellular based system with cute phone app but has recurring cellular bill, no way to integrate to home automation, etc.

Ideally a simple keypad that controls gate directly, receiver for in car controllers, and some I/O on the keypad that allows tie in to home automation/security would be ideal. Camera a plus. I'm not finding it or maybe just don't know how to search for it and sort through results.

I will have a home automation computer running (almost certainly cqc at this point) and elk M1 panel for security. RadioRa2 lights (a few to start). I really don't want a complete roll your own solution where the automation computer is involved directly with access control - verifying codes and such, because it needs to work if that comp is off line or even power is down. But using cqc to drive some remote video feed or access control by phone is fine.

Would like to be able to tie in to the rest of security and automation. For example open gates, lighting comes on, irrigation stops if spraying across drive etc. But not the biggest need.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Use the ELK for all security stuff, including driveway detection. The ELK then talks to the automation controller for advanced logic implementation and to bridge disparate systems (ELK sensors vs. IP relays as one example).

Put the critical security stuff only on the ELK for monitoring. The ELK can then call the security monitoring company AND tell the automation control system what happened.

The automation controller can then shut off the irrigation relays when a car drives up.

But the ELK is who calls the monitoring company.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A follow-up, it's not set in stone yet but I'm leaning towards using a pretty common liftmaster keypad and remote/receiver combo since this provides the core functionality of secure local and remote control access, is easily amenable to battery backup, and doesn't rely on internet or any other device to be powered in the house to verify access.

Layered on top of that I'm looking for the best option to smartify things a bit. I'd use the elk or automation computer but have yet to see any guide or even discussion on how to accomplish that easily. So far the Remootio product looks the most promising. I don't think this will integrate into other home automation functions but looks like a nice way to add local and distant phone app control, send a temporary access key to someone else without having to give out a keypad code and then go physically change it, and add Alexa integration. And doesn't require recurring subscriptions to their service or to IFTTT or Google assistant which is a huge plus.

That combo will get me to 99% of what I want to do I think. That last 1% would be to send status to elk and/or automation, which could be accomplished with a separate sensor if necessary, and finally having automation send a signal to open the gate (or disrupt operation if I ever think of a circumstance in which that would be necessary. That last part, opening the gate, may or may not be possible. Perhaps it is as simple as multiple routes to close the same relay going to gate motor. But way down the list of needs to I can figure that out later.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Heres how it can work:

Connect an ELK relay to the contact points of the gate controller. That is connected via RS485 wire to the ELK panel. Multiple relays and security sensors can then be added at that location (to detect intrusion).

Use a Wiegand keypad to tell the ELK that you want to open the gate. I don't know if Liftmaster is a standard Wiegand device or not. I would not be adding it if it isn't compatible with the ELK. No need and it further complicates things.

Connect the ELK via serial or via ELK's TCP interface to myServer com port or define the ethernet address in the ELK driver.
This then provide bi-directional control and status of all ELK devices to myServer.

myServer's irrigation app connects to other relays that control your sprinkler system (can also use ELK relays...). The irrigation app schedules watering and uses myServer's weather data (WeatherChannel / IBM) to Not water if it's going to rain. And allows for manual control. And allows for myServer logic to intervene in the schedule.

myServer would have a "If / Then / Else" rule that If the ELK detects gate open, and If the driveway zone is Closed (being watered), Then Pause the watering for "10 minutes" (allowing the car to pass without getting wet).

myServer's automation controller does not require the Internet (with exception of getting the weather data - which is then cached in myServer's database if the Internet drops). But, myServer can also use the Internet to provide optional full bidirectional control to your smartphone / tablet when you are not at the house. You can program in an access code for security.

No need for any annual subscription in all of the above. IFTTT is not required (but is supported by myServer).

The above system is completely customizable and expandable.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that is pretty much exactly how I had mapped it out using the Elk and an automation computer. I even looked at a variety of Wiegand output keypads.

I suppose the Elk will have battery backup and so long as it handles gate control should be fairly immune to power and internet outages.

Still makes me a little nervous delegating primary control of the gate opening to a device inside the house. Just seems like more failure paths.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Since most county codes require the driveway gate to be able to be manually opened in case of emergency, it's not as big a deal for 100% reliability.
Any gate you see in a commercial building or most all homes the controller is remotely managed.
RS485 is very reliable. This isn't like WiFi....this stuff just works all day, every day.
Yes, the ELK will have a battery backup.
The automation controller should be on a UPS as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts