AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to build an outdoor theater to play Wii in the driveway...anyone have experience with this?

Some of my concerns include:

Active USB cable extension, 33', do they work with the microphone (I have 2 young kids).

If the Wii is on the floor below the screen, and the screen is 6' x 9', bottom is 6-10" above the ground, where is the best place for the sensor bar? Should I build a small stand for it and place it just in front of the screen? Should it angle up slightly, or does that alter the tracking?

Is anyone using Component to VGA breakout cables? In my case, I will also have a coupler and extend the run to about 18' to get to the projector. Audio cables will run about 50' to the a/v receiver already in place in the garage. I don't intend to use the audio portion of my projector at all.

How far back can one go (after too many adult beverages) before losing communication with the Wii? Is that a case for experimentation?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirkMonster /forum/post/18160783

I am preparing to build an outdoor theater to play Wii in the driveway...anyone have experience with this?

Some of my concerns include:

Active USB cable extension, 33', do they work with the microphone (I have 2 young kids).

If the Wii is on the floor below the screen, and the screen is 6' x 9', bottom is 6-10" above the ground, where is the best place for the sensor bar? Should I build a small stand for it and place it just in front of the screen? Should it angle up slightly, or does that alter the tracking?

Is anyone using Component to VGA breakout cables? In my case, I will also have a coupler and extend the run to about 18' to get to the projector. Audio cables will run about 50' to the a/v receiver already in place in the garage. I don't intend to use the audio portion of my projector at all.

How far back can one go (after too many adult beverages) before losing communication with the Wii? Is that a case for experimentation?

Wiimotes are Bluetooth based - they should have plenty of range. The sensor bar, OTOH, is emitting IR. How far back you can go is up in the air. Might suggest looking @ a 3rd party wireless sensor. If nothing else, it'll give you total freedom to experiment on the best placement.

Can't answer the component/VGA question, but I use USB extension cables with my RB microphones & wired RB1 drums all the time. Work just fine - I have 2 10' USB extension cables from Monoprice & have often chained them both together to give the RB mic an extra 20' of cable slack. Works great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/18160984

Wiimotes are Bluetooth based - they should have plenty of range. The sensor bar, OTOH, is emitting IR. How far back you can go is up in the air. Might suggest looking @ a 3rd party wireless sensor. If nothing else, it'll give you total freedom to experiment on the best placement.

Can't answer the component/VGA question, but I use USB extension cables with my RB microphones & wired RB1 drums all the time. Work just fine - I have 2 10' USB extension cables from Monoprice & have often chained them both together to give the RB mic an extra 20' of cable slack. Works great.

Thanks...my Monoprice shopping cart is starting to overflow as I build my list...trying to think this through on the front end. Any guesses on how many items I will forget? (I added their wired and wireless sensor bars, they're $3 each, figured I can mess around with them that way.

Just realized I have 2 surviellance cameras set up in the area with IR emitters...wonder how that will impact things?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts