AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really trying to decide on upgrading my home surrond system which is presently Infinity Interlude 5.1. I am really interested in the Polk LSi15. Would a Onkyo TX-NR3008 be sufficent to drive a set of these 4 ohm speakers? The Onkyo has a setting for 4 ohm speakers.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
There is a mixed bag of answers on that...

I'd say yes and to not even select 4ohm mode(just leave it at 8).

Onkyo says "not to do that", but it is mainly cause when you halve the ohm load you(not quite accurate here) double the power production...

In a nutshell, the receiver is only built to dissipate the heat from creating a certain amount of power, when you over run its ability to "keep cool", it goes into protection.

The "4ohm mode" in Onkyo takes into account the "increase in power" and lowers gain so the receiver "still only produces" the same amount of power.

So, that is the cut and dried(not exactly accurate...depends if you want to read 15 pages of Onkyo's "white papers" for the really accurate version) answer.

Yes it will do it, one way or the other. I'd not turn on 4ohm mode, and if it doesn't get hot and in turn shut down...don't worry about it(we have no idea your room size...or how loud you intend to listen...).

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I will second the above. More than likely you have enough receiver.

You could also hit the thread: New amp is making me grin from ear to ear

This is an amp that I picked up for $179, threw on a 5 volt AC adapter onto the fans and run my Statements with it. I decided to leave my Parasound out of the rack

If you look on your local Craigslist you should be able to find one for $150.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.