AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Harmony 880 controlling 8 devices perfectly. Now I get this Music Server (McIntosh MS300 by Escient, the Fireball folks) and it works for power and all the input stuff, but the up, down, right and left arrows are a mess. Takes two clicks to get it to react (original remote is faster than stink) and going to 3,4 and 5 on the sensitivity scale does not work, nor does changing the delays and I think I have fooled with all of them. Have also tried copying the commands directly from the original remote, also NG. Anyone got a clue?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean the scale of 0,1,2,3,4 and 5, I think I have tried them all. Default was 2 I think and I certainly went to 3, 4 and 5. The troubleshooting does not call them "repeats" that I can see, but I assume this is what you mean, correct?

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
When you say you also copied the commands from the original remote, did you do normal or raw learns? Try normal learns with short button presses (half a second or so), then the repeats should be adjustable. Then you can try the different values again to find the best one.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for weighing in, mdavej. I did the learns some time ago, but I think I did raw learns. I will try your suggestion and much appreciate!

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Click on the Device's "Troubleshoot"

- Select "Show me more problems"

- Select "Device doesn't appear to receive every command correctly."

- Select "The device responds too much to some commands (for example, volume up increases the volume too quickly)."

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/18199643

Click on the Device's "Troubleshoot"

- Select "Show me more problems"

- Select "Device doesn't appear to receive every command correctly."

- Select "The device responds too much to some commands (for example, volume up increases the volume too quickly)."

Been there, done that, but thanks. Will work on doing some learning via normal commands this weekend. Appreciate your response, nevertheless.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I would second the previous recommendation of learning normal rather than raw. I had really crappy results when I used raw when learning from a directv hd-dvr remote. All problems went away when I learned using normal. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Jerndl - Here is what I have done this afternoon and some further comment on what is happening. After I do an update, it appears that the first click to scroll (using the up, down, left, right command) will bring one single move, then nothing more and from then on 2 clicks are necessary to get the thing to react. The scoller will also work fine if you hold it down (fast scroll). It is just single ups and downs it will not handle.

Here is what I did based on all your kind recommendations:

Did a learning using the normal instead of raw commands. No change.

Keeping this setting, I then fooled with the repeats, 3 (default), then 5, then 0. No help. Then loaded in new similar device from same manufacturer and tried to see how it worked. It did the same thing on the up, down, left, right control. So normal, raw and manufacturers commands all seem to bring the same issue.

I then went back to my original device and changed the interkey delay from 500 to 100. No help. I then moved the interdevice key, previously at 100 to 0. No help.

That was my fun hour fellas. I am thinking of rebooting the unit out the window, but maybe some of my new info will bring a light bulb.

Again, much appreciate the help from all.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last night I noticed something that may be relevant. When I push the scroll command (up arrow, down arrow etc.) I see the 880 sending out its signal (the little wave you can see on the top of the screen). Man, this goes on for a couple seconds and I think while it is sending that signal, you cannot ask it to send another, so I wonder if it is the remote sending too long a signal that is the issue, not the MX300's ability to receive it and then another right after. If I take the original remote I can just click away like a machine gun and it will scroll, scroll, scroll.

Anyone gone any thoughts on how I can shorten the signal the 880 sends? I have been all over the lot on repeats, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and it does not fix.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/18235629

Are you sure you really blew away those raw learns? The signal duration should be much shorter than that.

I thought they would go away when I did the normal learn and these now show as "analysed". I agree with you the bloody "signal wave" symbol is on a long time. Will fool with it again tonight as something in this area could well be the problem. I will also look at how long that symbol stays on when I put in the same unit but use the stock commands furnished by Logitech. As noted, these commands do not work either.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp /forum/post/18236100

I thought they would go away when I did the normal learn and these now show as "analysed". I agree with you the bloody "signal wave" symbol is on a long time. Will fool with it again tonight as something in this area could well be the problem. I will also look at how long that symbol stays on when I put in the same unit but use the stock commands furnished by Logitech. As noted, these commands do not work either.

I think I got it guys. I decided to take a shot at doing a raw command sequence again, this time using very short button holds on the original remote to try to mimic the very fast and short signal it sends to the MS300. Presto! I got results. I did have to adjust the repeats down a notch and I no longer have a fast scroll like the original remote, but I think I can get there or I will assign another key to do that. Well, I learned three things here: The device is not intuitive, I have nice helpers in you guys and oh yes, never give up! Thanks to all who weighed in!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts