Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting NHT T6 speakers..

Imdedance minimum: 3.6 mu

Impedance Nominal : 6 mu

Recommended power 200 Watts

Power RSM: 250 watts

Will my Pioneer 49TXi rated @ 130/channel have enough power to drive them? Or will I need a power Amp?

My room side is medium-large.

Also, how do the phisycs work? Is there a formula for calculating wattage needed, taking into acocunt resistance, etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
It looks like your speakers are close to 6 ohm and maybe a little less. Your Pioneer might have problems driving them. You can try it and see - if it gets hot and cuts out (thermal protection) then you need an external amplifier.

Not sure what you mean by calculation. If you have a 4 ohm speaker it will pull around 2x the power that an 8 ohm speaker will draw. The lower the speaker resistance the more current it will draw deom the amp and the harder it will have to work.

I am sure other people cna give you the rest on this forum

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
OK

Let's get things correct here - Speaker impedance is not like resistance even though they are both measured in the same unit. It brings into play the dynamics of a constantly varying signal (music) and at different frequencies the speaker impedance will change - the impedance 6 ohms is selected as a representation of what that speaker is presenting to the amplifier. It will drop higher or lower at various frequencies that are applied to it.

Certain types of speakers are noted for dropping to very low impedance 2 ohms - and this will cause certain amps to be taxed. If one has the volume up - some amps will overheat or bring into play protection circuits. The Pioneer has a good protection circuit (a good thing) and your speakers may trigger it. Certainly if your speakers were rated 4 ohms then your risk would be higher. Worst case - you end up buying a separate amp that is designed to handle lower impedance.

Reggie

Here are some things to look at: http://www.shure.com/support/technot...impedance.html
http://users.erols.com/renau/impedance.html

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am using the 49TXi to drive 7 speakers that test out to 6 Ohms. At 6 Ohms the Pioneer is rated at 160 wpc.

My mains drop as low as 3 Ohms. However, the speakers are extremely sensative (102 db, 1 watt, 1 m.), so very little power is needed. I use a powered sub below 50 Hz which helps as well. I am very happy with the results.

Pioneer recommends speakers from 6 to 16 Ohms on the VSX-49TXi. It is also recommended to give 8 inches of ventilation.

Low impedance coupled with low sensitivity speakers and a desire for high SPLs is the formula for thermal over load on receivers. All three factors should be considered before you buy IMO.

Bill

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I also have a 49TX and and run M&K 4ohm speakers in 7.1 config and it drives them with no problem.

In fact I talked to Pioneer tech support about driving 4ohm speakers before I purchased them and they said that receiver would handle them nicely.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Being that Pioneer Elite receivers are known to be non-high-current products, you may want to consider preouting in the long run and use an external amplifier or two. I would seriously consider asking yourself why the 49TXi? BTW, I learned on Thursday from an authorized Elite dealer that Pioneer is suppose to offer an 'i' upgrade to the other Elite receivers as well.

With this in mind, make a list why the '49' models is better than the other Elite receivers, like the '47' and consider weighing in the costs for a '47', for example, and an external amplifier, maybe even a '45'. What features do you really wants from the 47/49 that just are not available now or ever in the lower models, or another receiver line entirely?

BTW, I know the capacitor in the 47/49 Elites are better than what is in the 45TX I have, and can say it will not help. I have shutdown every Elite receiver currently available--that's what HT shops are for, right?

Also, keep in mind it will greatly be dependent upon your listening behavior. Are you one of those 'I gotta have it loud' people? If not, then you should do well with your original pairing consideration.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm driving a 7.1 Vienna setup with all 4ohm spkrs except front 2 which are 6ohm.

It will crank for extended periods fine.

I can make it overheat & turn off tho..just takes extended ref level (0) or more to do it.

-5 is about all you can stand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.