AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have two pair (4) Infinity Primus 162 speakers currently installed as a pair for my front left and right and a pair as my HIGH left and right. Can I drive all four speakers with my Onkyo TX NR3007 receiver's front left and right speaker output? Each speaker would have its own speaker cable, but each output on the receiver would be driving two speakers. Is this a bad idea to try? Anything I need to know?

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type A /forum/post/19511773

Can I drive all four speakers with my Onkyo TX NR3007 receiver's front left and right speaker output? Each speaker would have its own speaker cable, but each output on the receiver would be driving two speakers. Is this a bad idea to try? Anything I need to know?

Theoretically you can drive two speakers per speaker output just fine. However, in practise there's one primary consideration in that - ohm load. Like, trying to drive two 4ohm speakers per channel with an amplifier that isn't rated to handle a load of 2 ohms is not exactly a good idea.

Looking at your stated speakers and amp, it should be ok in stereo listening, but in surround mode it might be pushing it. Technically you probably shouldn't be frying anything by trying, as too large loads should activate a protection circuit which shuts down output in case of an "overload".

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for input, my receiver is selectable to 4 6 or 8 ohms via the menu, should I be changing that setting or just let the audyssey calibration do its thing and leave it where it puts it? BTW, these four will be crossed over at 80hz where a pair of hsu vtf2 mark 3 subs will take over, the room is 10'x20', so Ive got lots of bass power in that room in theater mode

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your speakers are 8 ohms, set the AVR to 4 ohms.

Your subs will lesson the load on your AVR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts