AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I decided to try to play the WM9 content from the Shadows of Motown DVD. Guess what, the Windows Media player will not let me play it because of failed DRM. It gives an error of "connection with server has been reset" and then errors out. Great! bought and paid for but unable to use it. Running XP Pro, all the latest service packs and updates including SP1 which I installed hoping to get the Media Player to work (at least I know that my network connection is good). If this happens to enough people then WM9 is doomed. Put the fripping license on the DVD or don't sell it since the content that has been paid for is not available; especially when the DRM system sucks hard enough to pull a vacuum on a chain link fence. The help link is especially useful:

" Error# 800C2EFF

Sorry, no more help is available for this problem at this time."

That helped just odles thanks MS....for a fun filled afternoon.

End of Rant and the last time I get suckered into buying anything that has DRM

Cheers

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
I am very sorry you are having this problem. I will have someone follow up with you asap on Monday. I hope you can bear with us until we figure out what is going on.

And yes, we will switch to local license issuance at some point to eliminate network acquisition problems.

Again, I am very sorry.

Amir

Microsoft

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amir,

Hopefully the post didn't come off as a personal attack, it wasn't meant to be one. I appreciate your presence on this board and don't want to make it any more difficult than it is. The error message sort of popped my cork, I have been writing software for a living for a long time and particularly unhelpful help is a hot button ;-)

The best part is that after watching a movie I decided to try again and it acquired the license with no problem. I just don't understand, failed for over two hours of continuous retrys and reboots then after two hours of inactivity (and no reboots) it just works.

Cheers...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Damn, that is the biggest worry. I hope it works out for you, and

the rest of us.

Nich

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well, it could be that the server (that contains the license) is being rebooted for that 2 hours :). j/k.

I'll give MS benefit of the doubt while they try to get more Hollywood movies onto HD WM9 - when there are a lot more of them, hopefully they won't be accessing the net for license.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
mpenton,

We did have a server reboot over the weekend which may have been the cause. The problem you ran into is very rare and we have only heard of one other example of it.

And no, I did not take your comments personally. I know you were frustrated with the software and had a right to feel that way.

Amir

Microsoft

·
Registered
114 Posts
A big thanks to Amir. This "put a 'face' on MS" thing is pretty great :) I think all MS employees should be required to spend 2 hours a week helping people in forums and discution groups. Could you imagine the community they could build? 20 000 technical people, more or less experts in their field, helping out people like us. For once I would definitly welcome MS intruding into our lives that way ;) People dont care much about support they want to "feel the love" and not a big greedy corporation out to get them and their money and this is definitly the way to do it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amir,

Given time to reflect on what MS is attempting to do with this software you have my sympathies. Given the enormous user base that has to be covered not to mention the content providers paranoia, I'm pretty happy that all I have to deal with are a few experts and occasional seu's (single event upsets). I still feel that DRM is the biggest issue and it is being forced on users in an attempt to pacify a group that seems to assume that the music listening/movie watching public are thieves at best and criminals if given the chance.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.